Guitar Vigilante

Daeval

So I was looking for some info on Guitar Hero when I came accross this sillyness - How to turn a Guitar Hero controller into a midi instrument for "freestyle" play. Skip to the last paragraph for the interesting info:

http://home.comcast.net/~jason.cecil/nerdstrument.html

It's an obvious process now that I've seen it, and I'm kind of surprised I didn't hear about it sooner. Here it is in a nutshell:

1) Plug the Guitar Hero controller into the PC via a standard PS2-USB converter.

2) Nab a midi keyboard program. He recommends Bome's Mouse Keyboard, which is postcardware and worked for me.

3) Map the controller's buttons to keyboard keys via.. a program that does that.

Anyway, I used JoyToKey instead of the key assignment program he recommends, since it's free. Here are a few JoyToKey configs I threw together while I was messing around, if you just want to skip to the messing around too:

http://www.geocities.com/daeval_sx8/JoyToK...itarConfigs.zip

I'm trying to think of what to use button 5 (the Star Power switch) for, but I don't know enough about the midi program to figure out something interesting.

Now, go goof around!

There were some people playing Guitar Hero at the last lan. It looked pretty cool, but I would have preferred more original music. I'm not sure there even was any original music. :thumbsup1:

Regardless, this is definitely cool, and I'm sure a lot of people at the Basement would be interested, too. Thus, the link was forwarded, and everyone lived happily ever after.

the Basement?

And yeah, Guitar Hero is pretty cool. Once you get over rocking out on a playskool guitar, it's a lot of fun, especially on the harder difficulties (you have to work your way up though or you'll die).

There is quite a bit of "original" music as well, but you have to unlock it. There are probably as many indy bands you've never heard of as there are well-known songs on the tracklist, and most of them arent' half bad. One play-through on the normal difficulty should get you all the tracks unlocked.

http://www.thebasementlan.org

It's a relatively local monthly lan party. It's not very big, and most of us are there every month, so we all know each other.

Good to hear that there's original music in there though, most of what I heard was "I Love Rock 'n Roll". In fact, thinking back, that may have been all I heard. :naughty: Not the best stand to judge from.

Good to hear that there's original music in there though, most of what I heard was "I Love Rock 'n Roll".  In fact, thinking back, that may have been all I heard.  :rofl:  Not the best stand to judge from.

That's the n00b song, literally the easiest song in the game, which was probably why you heard it so often. My roomates play this game just about every friday night with a group of largely non-gamer friends, and "I Love Rock 'n Roll" has been outlawed. :naughty: