gp2xmess v0.8-beta Released

olaf

retroguru.com reports that gp2xmess, the open source GP2x port of MESS (the Multiple Emulator Super System), has been updated to version 0.8-beta. Below are the changes in this version.

- Made use of sdl_gfx only used when compiling for gp2x *and* the target is xmess.  This allows me to use scaling code when host debugging.

- Added.gpe launcher for odyssey2.  Driver works but compatibility with the current mess source low.  I was able to get golf, hockey, bowling, skiing, and few others to work fine.  KC Munchkin and Pick Axe Pete do not.  Collision detection seems to be spotty also.  I have downloaded the specs for the intel 8048 and other related odyssey2 docs and hope to work on the actul driver.

- Added support for launching the "pre" file selection dialog for the odyssey2 which needs a cart inserted before starting the emulation.

- Added coco2, apple2e, and apple2c to the drivers list.

- Added keyboard support for coco2, coco3, apple2, apple2c, and apple2e  drivers.

- Added code for scaling image down if driver's resolution is larger than 320x240.  This allows apple2 and coco3 to display now.  It's a wicked CPU hog and there are some slight palette issues but I'm hoping going to HW surfaces will speed this up.

- Added SDL_gfx lib for stretch blits (quite slow in SW), will only be used on gp2x host.

- Added makefile define for GP2X

- Switch to a newer gp2x libs package from theoddbot.  This one includes SDL_gfx and SDL_ttf so I can add scaling and also a better (smaller) font for the virtual keyboard.  I'm also hoping this will fix the timer and vol down button issues I'm having.

- Added Odyssey 2 objects, CPUS, and driver info.  Compatibility seems to be low.  driver is marked as non-working.  Baseball seemed to work fine for me.

You can visit the official homepage here, or simply download it here.