GP2xmess v0.4 (Pre-alpha) Released

olaf

PDRoms reports that GP2xmess, a port of the Multiple Emulator Super System (MESS) by Telengard for the GP2x, has been released. Below are the release notes for version 0.4 (pre-alpha).

Hi everyone,

I finally have something worth putting out for folks to fiddle with. I had hoped to have something done earlier in the week but it turns out the first system I wanted to tackle needs an initial cart to even start-up which meant I had to write a file chooser.  :)

I've put a page up as suggested by vic20-ian although it's not pretty. It'd be cool to have a logo and splash screen for the emulator but I have no artistic ability. Any takers? You'll get a big thanks in the THANKS file.

The file chooser code is also pretty modular so other's can use it if they'd like. It's not 100% finished nor pretty but it does work. Unfortunately scrolling doesn't work due to what seems to be an SDL timer limitation on the gp2x. I need to find a different way to do it. The font handling code doesn't depend on SDL_ttf and I got the code from it from a nice guy name Ray Kelm.

I spent a while on a README which has some useful info and I'd appreciate feedback on that. It describes basic usage, etc. I do not provide any BIOS or roms so you'll have to hunt those down.

The only driver this release tackles is the Atari 7800. Some games run at what seems to be full speed w/ slightly laggy sound. I have not done *any* optimizing yet. The binary size is also quite large at the moment. That will change too. Everything is statically linked in also, so you can just drop it on your SD and run it.

Unpack the zip file and place your a7800.zip BIOS rom in the bios dir and run a7800.gpe. Select a cart (usually *.a78) and you are good to go. Everything that I could think of that does/doesn't work etc are in the README and TODO files.

I also have the source up there but only the new files. I will generate a patchset tomorrow and put that up there. The xmess src is 19M and I can't host it. Speaking of which, how do I get releases placed up on gp32x.de? I don't have a lot of space (10M) so keeping releases there will be difficult going forward.

Enjoy and please let me know how you like it/feedback etc!

You can visit the official homepage of GP2xmess here.