Dave Widel on MAME's Progress

olaf

Emu#dreams reports Dave Widel has posted on his homepage about his work on MAME. With the year ending, everyone is taking time to acknowledge just how much progress was made in MAME. Below is what Dave Widel had to say about this year's work.

Well everyone's putting up lists of what they accomplished this year. I spent most of my time babysitting but still managed to accomplish a couple of things. High score kits for Pacman, Bootleg Ms Pac, Jr Pacman, Galaxian, Make Trax, and Black Tiger. All of them 100% legal no copyrighted original code included. The Mad Pac and Exidy 440 kits are finished. On the unreleased side I have a working, nearly completed system 1 kit which I've shelved until some interest turns up and I have serveral more projects designed waiting for me to order prototypes.

As far as mame goes I still did a little coding, but not much. Added drivers for Noah's Ark, Super Missle Attack, Wonderboy System 2, and definately the most exciting thing this year was talking to the original programmer of Star Fire and adding support for Star Fire II. A game that he says made it into production at the very end of the sales of Star Fire I, possibly they went overseas, but no one had even heard of a sequel being made.

As you may know my specialty is decryption, but it was pretty quiet in that area. I helped a couple of devs on a few things but I don't think I really did anything this year. Those days are pretty much over, I think there's only a few 8 bit games left to be decrypted. No one seems to be able to locate boards for them so it's possible it's too late and the batteries have already died.

You can visit Dave Widel's homepage here.