Official DSEmu News Update!

Alpha

DSEmu is a Nintendo DS Emulator for Windows that was originally made by Two9A.

It's been a little while since I last posted, that's true. Fact of the matter is that other matters have pressed their attention on me, which has forced DSemu-ng temporarily out of the foreground. However, a little more progress has been made. Plugins are now able to generate their own subwindows, and draw to them in any manner they choose, just so long as it all ends up as a simple framebuffer. That makes perfect sense for all my subwindows, since all they were in DSemu of old was framebuffers dumped to a DC.

One of the major problems with having a subwindow that's merely a framebuffer dump is that it can't have any controls within it. I've tried to maintain cross-platform compatibility in the superstructure as much as possible, and that means making the GUI plugin API-neutral. That entails that no subwindows created by plugins can even talk about widgets or controls, since they'd have to refer to a specific toolkit. Instead, options are added to the main application menu, which pass their values on to the plugins. It's a change to the interface, I know, but that's the price one pays for cross-platform code.

Furthermore, I've finally hit that fateful point at which I've made more progress in -ng than I did before. That point came at the implementation of timers. As of this moment, I have the simple prescalar timers tested as working fine; IRQ triggers and countup are present, but not tested as of right now, and their implementation is very likely to be wrong.

In summary, progress is slow, but progress exists.

»» Homepage