Bandwidth Priority

Shibathedog

I have broadband now, and VoIP phone service (Vonage) and people in my family complain when i have bittorent open the line starts breaking up (I havent noticed it myself though, my family is just paranoid i think and if they hear one single pop or short mute they will go on about how the line is ALWAYS breaking up...annoying...but not the issue at hand) Now i THINK the way to do this is under the QoS tab, but is there a way i can give my VoIP router priority bandwidth over everything else? NOT reserved bandwidth so everything else is limited, but just give that router priority over everything else?

My main router is a Linksys WRTG54GS V4 if that helps (Wireless G Router with speedbooster)

My VoIP router is also a Linksys, they refer it it as the "VoIP router with 2 phone ports" all the time, and im not sure if its even on Linksys's website but i could check the model number if needed.

Side note: What was that site with all the WRTG hacked firmwares and stuff?

QoS is for nothing more than reserving bandwidth for backgrounds processes in windows to make use of (Like Windows Update when run automatically).

This in itself is utterly stupid, and you should disable QoS.

What you're looking for is a bandwidth limiter on the kernel level. Get Netlimiter

P.S. You can crack it you know.......

If you're currently running the VoIP behind the router, try putting the router behind it instead.

For instance, you have this setup. Modem > Router > VoIP + PC(s)

Move the VoIP up, and it will have physical priority. Modem > VoIP > Router > PC(s)

You may or may not be able to do this, but I think you can. If your VoIP box is a router, and has 2 ports, you should be able to do it.

This MAY still be bottlenecked if you have a really crappy upload cap, but in that case use Netlimiter on the PCs and limit their upload a bit.

i think i could probably do that, I use my wireless router for internet though, i wish my VoIP router had wireless >_

Ill give it a try and see if it makes a difference

You can still use the wireless router for internet..........I think you're missing the point here. The VoIP router will simply be a router.......for the router.