My ISP told me

Robert

At this point in time, if you've had a previous internet connection and you STILL can't set it up manually.........you need to stay the hell off the internet, as theres too many dummies on it already. :rolleyes:

seriously

especially if you have a broadband connection

Just a question: how can MS allow or forbid ISPs to distribute their own files? Were these programs written by MS or is it just corporate pressure?

They own the software, period.

And yes, corporate pressure......but on the consumer, to go out and buy XP. If you can't have a setup program configure your connection for you on 98, your ISP is going to tell you "We can provide you with this for Windows XP", and if you're not smart enough.......what are you going to do? Go buy a copy of Windows XP, all just to setup your internet connection that you could otherwise do manually.

The thing is, almost all broadband connections these days require NO installation whatsoever. You just plug crap in and it works. DHCP.......Plug n' Play, even on Windows 98.

When I signed up for the DSL I have now, they were trying to tell me I MUST buy their software package (An extra $49!) to get my internet connection setup on here.

After multiple attempts I just looked at the lady and said, "Do you know what Linux is? Your stupid software won't even run on it, and I do NOT need it"

She shut right up. :rolleyes: