[09/28/05] Shutokou Battle: Zone of Control

L.S.D

Game: Shutokou Battle: Zone Of Control

System: PSP

Emulators: Unknown

924640_59053.jpg

First of all, I have always been a fan of Shutokou battle series (or Tokyo Extreme Racer for the US

version) since playing Shutokou Battle and Shutokou Battle 2 on DC. The series started on PS

and have spawned across various consoles and even a PC version. For those who are not familiar

with the series, it is about you (a lone racer) battling against other racing teams in Tokyo highway.

You must beat all the cars in order to be no. 1 in Tokyo (usually 300 - 400 rival cars)

History of the series:

Shutokou Battle (PS1) - 1996

Shutokou Battle R (PS1) - 1997

Shutokou Battle (DC) - 1999

Shutokou Battle 2 (DC) - 2000

Shutokou Battle Zero (PS2) - 2001

Shutokou Battle Zero One (PS2) - 2003

Shutokou Battle Online (PC) - 2003

Shutokou Battle: Zone Of Control (PSP) - 2005

Graphics:

One can't help but take Ridge racer and compare it to this game. Having play both games, Ridge Racer

win hands down in this department. Graphics in Zone Of Control (ZOC) is not as beautiful and as detailed

as Ridge Racer (RR). Granted, Genki always managed to model the highway as close as the real Tokyo

highway with all the buildings and landmarks intact. But the framerate when racing in the car is not

as fast as RR. The scenery seems to have a blurring effect which make the overall view seems.....so

PS1-like. Even when you use nitro, the blurring effect did not manage to give you the feeling that you

are speeding really fast. It was a shame Genki did not rectify this issue when Namco has managed to release RR with such fluidity in graphics earlier on.

However, there are some fine point in this department for ZOC too. All the car models are as accurate

as the real deal. You can tell which car is which from the look. THe replay view is also nicely done

and the menu presentation is very fresh, compare to previous series.

924640_20050406_screen002.jpg924640_20050406_screen001.jpg

Graphics : 7/10 (7 due to the accuracy of the car models)

Sound:

The sound in ZOC is mostly comprising of Jap Rock and Techno. Well, there is one bgm for normal

racing and one bgm for team racing and one bgm for bosses. Enough said. At least, the sound effect

is still the standard racing affair.

Sound: 4/10 (Genki being lazy)

Controls:

Gamespot complain that the control of this game is slow and non-responsive. I laugh at their remarks :D

The responsiveness of the car in this game has never been better. it really depends on which car you

drive, how you configure your car etc etc. I have no complain here. And you can configure the control

to your liking. No complain here.

Controls: 9/10 (responsive)

Gameplay:

Ah, we have come to the most important aspect of all.

Genki is going down the same way Koei has taken. Instead of a free-roaming that was adapted

in the previous version of the series, ZOC is about taking over rivals' territories, part by part.

The highways of Tokyo are broken down into several zones with one team controlliing each zone

(hence the name of the game, Zone Of Control). You can get to choose 3 groups to join in the beginning.

once you have choosen your group, you can choose to rise up the rank in your own group by challenging

other members or just og to other zones to beat the crap out of the rival groups. Shutokou series

has always employ the SP system. It is a kind of HP system, with a set of HP for you and your opponents.

You will win once you managed to drain the HP out of your rival (done by overtaking them and leaving them

behind for a distance and their HP will slowly drain or get them to hit the wall/other cars/yourself) Once

you rise up the rank to become the leader of the group, you will get to choose to invade other rivals'

territorries by initiating the Team Battle. Each side will choose 5 of their best cars (yours included)

and slog it out in a 1-on-1 endurance battle. This is a new aspect in ZOC and it really fits the PSP

really well to make the battle shorter and sweeter. You will have fun trying to beat all the teams (and

not to mention those loners who aren't in a team). Another aspect is you can recruit the rivals you beat

to become your team members! Soon, you can boast of having 50 members under you :D

924640_20050406_screen003.jpg

There are still minor gripe though. The menus are only in Japanese. it will take you several attempts

to get to know what each menu does. (It took me 3 days to find out about the Ranking Battle!)

The loading time is quite long, around 15s - 30s for each race. Annoying, but still did not detract me

from enjoying this game. And the list of rivals to beat is shorter compare to other series. I wish they

give me more teams to beat.

924640_20050406_screen004.jpg

Gameplay: 8/10 (I am a fanboy so this score might be a little bit biased)

Overall:

Overall, this game is entertaining and fun. Graphical issues, loading time did not detract me

from enjoying it. Try it or rent it and make your own judgement. Try to get through all the

mumbo-jumbo of menus to go into the actual game and you might be surprised.

Graphics : 7/10

Sound : 4/10

Control : 9/10

Gameplay: 8/10

Overall : 7/10

Overall I give this game a :huh: