KoF : Maximum impact

KoFerBoy

While PS2 emulators (PCSX2 comes to mind) emulate many games quite well, they are far from being playable. I've said it a million times before and I'll say it again: Don't expect miracles from PS2 emulation.

The PS2 is such a powerful system that it's impossible to run complex 3D games at full speed on today's computers. Same goes for the GameCube and the XBOX, and the reason is quite obvious to boot.

Some games that are mostly 2D with little to no 3D elements have just become playable at full speed. (Disgaea comes to mind, or so I have been told).

To be quite honest with you, I don't know. It might work, but most likely it won't, at least until PCSX2 v0.9 (or whatever the version is) is out. If you do get it to work, it most likely runs at 5-10fps, depending on whether or not you have SSE2 enabled and working.

The default PCSX2 graphics plugin runs everything in software, and the other plugin, which is faster, uses Direct3D + SSE2 exclusively.

KOFmi will certainly go ingame with the upcomming release of PCSX2, after some extensive testing I found it will run at best 12.4-13.8 FPS ingame, and 30-52.3 FPS in menus.

This is based on using:

AMD64 3200+ @ 2.2GHz

1024MB DDR400 RAM

nVidia GeForce FX5950u

GSdx SSE2 / D3D

vuREC + eeREC

PCSX2 is heavily CPU dependant, GPU makes little difference, eg:

AMD64 4000+

nVidia GeForce 6800 GT x 2 (In SLI)

2048MB RAM

15.3-16.22 FPS ingame

You want to play this game so bad, I recommend a PS2.

Due to PCSX2 being CPU dependant, you can run the game with 8xAA / 8xAF / Full Screen Smoothing at 1600x1200 with little to no impact on speed.