new to dream cast emu

alright i thought today im gonna try to start using dreamcast , at the moment im into arcade , nintendo 64 , and gamecube , and other stuff but mainly those , anyway can some 1 tell me

1. is it like other emu's... u download emu , then roms then it runs ?

2. from what i gatherd its hard to find rom's

3. can some 1 post a tut and the best emu's ty

4. do u download games or do u run them... thanks

please help asp i just saw some cool games

Chankast doesn't use roms, it uses CD iso images, which very in size( some as low as 15 MB rar files upwards too 900 MB rar files ) and backed up CD-Rs only. You'd need to mount the CD Iso images with on a virtual drive, like daemon tools for example and change chankast's main drive selection too the virtual drive letter ( example: E:\ ).

You also need a pretty mid-ranged rig to get any decent FPS since it's emulating a Dreamcast console.

CD images aren't that hard to come by if you looked. Your looking between Bittorrent or various other P2P services for them.

And so far only Chankast is the ONLY WORKING, DECENT EMULATOR for the Dreamcast system. Not much selection. You'd also need the bios, which don't come with the emulator.

mua ha ha ha ha ha it's so nice having a dreamcast and some of the best games around :) Just an hour ago I was playing S.F.EX2plus with bleemcast. What a magic system don't ya think :(

If you are looking for some games, you can check out google ;)

Mods edit: Do not mention sites that offer torrents for commercial games. :peopleseybrow:

Edited by Alucard1475

nah i have games , i just cant get them 2 run , i have nba2k :peopleseybrow: my favourite game on dreamcast and i put it into the virtual drive then i load chankast , now it works :( woot woop

• 4 weeks later...
Chankast doesn't use roms, it uses CD iso images, which very in size( some as low as 15 MB rar files upwards too 900 MB rar files ) and backed up CD-Rs only. You'd need to mount the CD Iso images with on a virtual drive, like daemon tools for example and change chankast's main drive selection too the virtual drive letter ( example: E:\ ).

You also need a pretty mid-ranged rig to get any decent FPS since it's emulating a Dreamcast console.

CD images aren't that hard to come by if you looked. Your looking between Bittorrent or various other P2P services for them.

And so far only Chankast is the ONLY WORKING, DECENT EMULATOR for the Dreamcast system. Not much selection. You'd also need the bios, which don't come with the emulator.

whoah r u sayin chankast wont work unless its a iso, cdi and nrg dont work for dreamcast?

I think Chankast does support burned CD-Rs, but don't take my word for it.

As long as you mount a DC image with Daemon Tools, Chankast will try to run it. It doesn't matter if it's an NRG, CDI or IMG.

What K`dash was trying to say that it's incorrect to use the word 'ROM' when referring to a system that uses CDs as it's medium.

I think Chankast does support burned CD-Rs, but don't take my word for it.

As long as you mount a DC image with Daemon Tools, Chankast will try to run it. It doesn't matter if it's an NRG, CDI or IMG.

What K`dash was trying to say that it's incorrect to use the word 'ROM' when referring to a system that uses CDs as it's medium.

Oh i C, because i got a mvc2 CDI and every time i run it gives me that crappy memory card screen over and over again. I thought it was the emu but it wasnt so i tried to convert it to a Iso that didnt work. Im not sure wats wrong, when it comes to dc emuilation im a noob because i havent played one game on it yet. No matter wat game i get i get that crappy screen. I remeber someone else had the same problem but i cant find who it was on the forum....WHAT IS THE FREAKEN PROBLEM!!!?

I have the same Marve Vs. Capcom 2 CDI image, and I remember getting that memory card screen as well. The thing is, it just went away after awhile.

Do you have both Dc_bios.bin and Dc_flash.bin? US BIOS?

I have the same Marve Vs. Capcom 2 CDI image, and I remember getting that memory card screen as well. The thing is, it just went away after awhile.

Do you have both Dc_bios.bin and Dc_flash.bin? US BIOS?

YEa i got flash and bios, the newest verasion of the emu, the works!

But pleaase, do go on! How was ur problem solved?

BTW, is US BiOS a diff bin or r u making sure the 2 i hav bios are from us?

Ok ok ok continue:o

Edited by Shoma

The problem is that i don't really know how I fixed it. I remember having to set the date and time everytimeI started playing, only to find out that I didn't have to do so one day.

Super EDIT (omgwoot): I think I know what the problem really is. Since Chankast is far from emulating the Dreamcast I've come to the conclusion the the DC's RTC isn't properly emulated. Therefore if you change the time and date settings, the BIOS will always ask you to set them again. To get around this, you need to just leave it the way it is.

My BIOS defaults to 11/27/1998 00:00 and if I leave it at that, the BIOS never asks me to set the date/time again.