RomCenter dats

For the past several months, I've been using RomCenter to check the integrity of my romsets. However, the integrity is relative to whatever dat file you happen to be using. For a while, I've been using logiqx's neogeo dat as I didn't want my romsets to be "tied" to a particular emulator, but the logiqx dat is missing many of the clones which are available. Right now I'm using Neo Mame for my neo emulation whose dat seems to be fairly through. But like I said, I don't want to change all my roms to be compatible with Neo Mame, because should I have to change emulators in the future, I don't want to have to fix all of my romsets again.

So I guess my question is, what reference dat do you use when checking your roms?

So I guess my question is, what reference dat do you use when checking your roms?

My own head. :o AKA I don't use set integrity dats because I don't care about correctness. I care about playability and portability. If you want a real answer about what dat to use, I'd still go with Logiqx's dats.

As for clones and hacks, doesn't logiqx really have anything on those?

I use NeoRAGEx, Nebula/Kawaks Loader for the sole reason that I don't have to worry about fixing romsets when using those.

James most likely disagrees with me, since he's more into "accurate emulation.

EDIT: The problem with MAME is that everything is hardcoded, so you pretty much need a specific set of roms... Unless you want to compile your very own build which supports the sets you have.

NeoRAGEx plays most games outthere, but needs an "altered" altered P1 rom to go around the protections in newer games. Kawaks and Nebula Loader work the same way, but at the same time, they have support for encrypted sets as well.

And I don't see what's so sloppy about going around protections, as long as that makes the game playable without changing something integral in the game itself (like graphics, text, mechanics etc.).

You could call it "fixing" in a sense, as there is nothing wrong with the game.

Ok, lets use an example: Samurai Showdown V. There are four different romsets for this game: set 1, set 2, bootleg, and decrypted. Thats four different "correct" versions of any given rom within that romset. But when you are looking around for roms, you're going to find a lot more than just four versions. They'll be dozens. Now, do all of these different versions work? Yes, if you modifiy your emulator to use them. But that doesn't necessarily make them correct. That's what I'm trying to do here. To find correct roms as opposed to just "working" roms.

Now, as for the actual emulation of these romsets, my philosophy is different. I am well aware that most emus do not support the more recent games "out of the box" and that manipulation is required for proper gameplay. I fully support this. What I do not support is manipulating emus to play non-"correct" romsets (as defined above).

Those correct "romsets" are going to be supported in the near future, but not yet, because of the 3-year-rule of emulation. If you have to play these games now, you HAVE to modify the existing emulators to get them working. Once a few years have passed, I'm 100% sure that those "correct" sets + their clones, hacks, and whatnot will be fully supported.

To me, there is no such thing as a non-correct romset, unless someone intentionally distributes bad romsets that wouldn't work properly on any emulator (yes, I've seen those as well, but they aren't so common as you make it sound).

Those correct "romsets" are going to be supported in the near future, but not yet, because of the 3-year-rule of emulation. If you have to play these games now, you HAVE to modify the existing emulators to get them working. Once a few years have passed, I'm 100% sure that those "correct" sets + their clones, hacks, and whatnot will be fully supported.

Yes, I know. I just said that in my previous post. And thus, I'm trying to build correct sets now so that I don't have to worry about whether or not they will work later.

To me, there is no such thing as a non-correct romset, unless someone intentionally distributes bad romsets that wouldn't work properly on any emulator (yes, I've seen those as well, but they aren't so common as you make it sound).

Ok, maybe "dozens" was a slight exageration, but there are easily twice, if not three, times as many availabe roms as there should be for any given rom.

Also, you again bring up the difference in our philosophies. You're of the "If it works it's good enough for me" camp, while I'm of the "If it's not the data on that was on the physical chip, it's no good" camp. I don't have a problem with this. I strongly support people having different opinions. I've just picked a harder path than you. But because of this, I feel that I'll be better rewarded in the end.

Amithraldur, if u wanna know what most correct sets for these games are then u shoud use Johnboy's neogeo dat - http://johnboy.cjb.net/

Thanks for the link Necro. I'll be sure to take a look as soon as I get a chance.