Final Fantasy news

Also, I found the name Final Fantasy to be really flocking stupid. There is nothing Final about it.

There once was. Final Fantasy was intended to be Hironobu Sakaguchi's final game for Square, but lo and behold, it sold like hotcakes.

That's why the series was named Final Fantasy.

Also, I found the name Final Fantasy to be really flocking stupid. There is nothing Final about it.

There once was. Final Fantasy was intended to be Hironobu Sakaguchi's final game for Square, but lo and behold, it sold like hotcakes.

That's why the series was named Final Fantasy.

Exactly. Instead of making games with new names, they just stuck with the same thing added a number at the end. If you are able to come up with all that dialogue in the game you can atleast give it a flocking subtitle so it makes the series look like each game is a chapter in a sort of video game novel! I mean, Final Fantasy VII: The Quest for Dicks is much better than just Final Fantasy VII.

I agree with whoever said the FF series has gone downhill. So far, XII doesn't look to me like it's going to save it. The character designs are ghey, possibly even worse than X's, and it almost looks like they're trying to change too much all at once. Of course, I'm one of the two people in the universe who liked 9 and hated 7, so obviously mine isn't the popular opinion. We'll see though, I'm not entirely giving up hope until I play it.

As for the naming scheme... I don't mind it because the games do share common storytelling themes and a sort of meta-world with the items, chocobos, gods, etc appearing in all of the different variations. The "Mana" games or the "Chrono" games or even the "Saga" games don't quite carry the same themes as FF, and I'm not just talking about a lack of "phoenix downs." Alos, it would have been some kind of slow suicide to try and market all those games under unique titles, and would have made the RPG's "mainstreaming" extremely difficult, for better or worse.

That said, I don't feel that VIII or X should have been part of the roman-numeraled sequence. Those two kept almost none of Final-Fantasy's mythical-hero-story feel. I also think XI should have been a subtitled one, like Tactics was, and is the most obvious abuse of the brand name.

I liked 9, liek you o.o

But what got me into XII is mostly because the guy who did Tactics Ogre, Vagrent Story, Tactics & Tactics Advance is doing it. He has shown with his series of games that they will indeed rock.

From what I've been hearing, Final Fantasy XII is the one that lift the series some more, just because the Vagrant Story/FF Tactics people are making it.

It's going to rock my socks/controller/console/whatever anyway, just because it's Final Fantasy XII

And no, Final Fantasy X-2 isn't crap.

I liked 9, liek you o.o

You're apparently the only other person in the world. :P

But what got me into XII is mostly because the guy who did Tactics Ogre, Vagrent Story, Tactics & Tactics Advance is doing it. He has shown with his series of games that they will indeed rock.

This is part of what has me on the fence about it. I LOVED FF Tactics on PS, it stands as probably my favorite FF ever, but I just couldn't get into the newer GBA title. I played Ogre Battle, and loved it, but Tactics Ogre (at least on the GBA) bugged me because of how clunky the interface was. I really hope he does a good job with it, but his name isn't an instant win for me.

I liked 9, liek you o.o

That dude's doing it? I hope I can still use swords, or items, or cast spells, or hit monsters...