HIV Vaccine?

Gryph

After a while, wouldn't the virus build immunity to the vaccine?  Or would that be prevented by the fact that it's developed from an individual's cells?

Well this vaccine is derived from each person's dendritic cells so that should prevent that. The way they work (this is a basic explanation since I haven't taken immunology yet) is that these dendritic cells check for pathogens and when they find one they mature and then help activate T-cells by feeding them the antigen (a molecule that immune cells respond to) that is derived from the pathogen they attached too. This is how diseases new to your body are targetted and killed.

In this case, the dendritic cells taken from the patients are introduced to killed HIV virus which also taken from the patients and that creates an antigen to tell whatever T-cells are left to destroy the HIV. Curiously, the way HIV causes disease is by infecting a particular dendritic cell which then go to the lymph nodes (which is very important for the immune system) and from there they attack helper T cells.

I hope that didn't bore you.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

After a while, wouldn't the virus build immunity to the vaccine?  Or would that be prevented by the fact that it's developed from an individual's cells?

Well this vaccine is derived from each person's dendritic cells so that should prevent that. The way they work (this is a basic explanation since I haven't taken immunology yet) is that these dendritic cells check for pathogens and when they find one they mature and then help activate T-cells by feeding them the antigen (a molecule that immune cells respond to) that is derived from the pathogen they attached too. This is how diseases new to your body are targetted and killed.

In this case, the dendritic cells taken from the patients are introduced to killed HIV virus which also taken from the patients and that creates an antigen to tell whatever T-cells are left to destroy the HIV. Curiously, the way HIV causes disease is by infecting a particular dendritic cell which then go to the lymph nodes (which is very important for the immune system) and from there they attack helper T cells.

I hope that didn't bore you.

Still no hope for those who've already lost their T cells then...bummer...