help with matrix mod

Inky

I've had my matrix and v1 xbox for ever now. but I am having a problem now. sometimes when I turn on my xbox I get teh 3x power on/off then frag. I look in the side and see my matrix is still lit green. usually if I lift up the xbox on the left side an inch or two and then let it drop I will boot up fine after that. so I figure my matrix isn't contacting the points solidly. I have realigned my chip and tightened and loosened the screw to see if it helps nothing helps.

any suggestions? I heard someone hot glued thiers in but that sounds suspect to me. I'd just solder it if I knew how and had the tools available.

The 3x FRAG is usually an issue with d0. The only thing I can suggest is possibly cleaning the d0 poing and the connection of the Matrix Chip since it sounds like it's having issues staying in contact.

I don't trust Matrix chips and their connection w/ d0 as it can be very difficult to align one. I'm putting one in for a friend of mine and I soldered the d0 from the chip to the backside d0 point of the motherboard and it works perfectly everytime. Unfortunately I stripped the screw to hold the chip in so I've gotta find another one tomorrow.

Edited by Vermillion

The 3x FRAG is usually an issue with d0.  The only thing I can suggest is possibly cleaning the d0 poing and the connection of the Matrix Chip since it sounds like it's having issues staying in contact.

I don't trust Matrix chips and their connection w/ d0 as it can be very difficult to align one.  I'm putting one in for a friend of mine and I soldered the d0 from the chip to the backside d0 point of the motherboard and it works perfectly everytime.  Unfortunately I stripped the screw to hold the chip in so I've gotta find another one tomorrow.

yeah I will try that, thanks. like I said I'd solder it in but I don't have an iron and don't really know how to solder. anyone know of a general soldering faq? if I had the cash I'd just get a new xenium ICE with solderless adapter....