registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { return; } public function replaceOutput($output, $key) { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicView($output, $key); } } ?>registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicViewJS(); } } ?> SNES game with copy/anti-piracy protection!? - NES & SNES Emulators [/pc/nes+snes] - 1Emulation.com

Welcome to 1Emulation.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

SNES game with copy/anti-piracy protection!?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Alpha

Alpha

Your Ayatollah of Rock N' Rolla!

• Admin
  • 7,464 posts
  • Interests:Face to face interaction, women, and some old games.

I found out today that apparently Earthbound for SNES had built in anti-piracy protection against cartridge copiers back in the day. Apparently this game had Region Protection and many SRAM checks to see if the cartridge had only 8KB of ram.

Attached File  Enemies-EB1.png   8.7K   3 downloadsAttached File  M2copyright.png   2.22K   3 downloads

If the SRAM checks fail during game play, the game will increase in difficulty substantially to almost impossible to beat. Quite clever might I say from the developers for almost 20 years ago.

Has anyone heard of other SNES games that employed similar measures? I just find all this quite fascinating.

http://tcrf.net/Eart...Copy_Protection

ken_cinder

ken_cinder

Cyborg Admin

• User Admin
  • 4,484 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Oh there's a number of them, you just don't encounter the issues on emulators like you would on real hardware, and if dumps are fixed then you certainly won't.

http://ucon64.source...mpatibility.txt for example...1+2 entries, Earthbound being a case of both, number of others in that list, and that's just for the Super Wildcard.

Alpha

Alpha

• Admin
  • 7,464 posts

Oh there's a number of them, you just don't encounter the issues on emulators like you would on real hardware, and if dumps are fixed then you certainly won't.

http://ucon64.source...mpatibility.txt for example...1+2 entries, Earthbound being a case of both, number of others in that list, and that's just for the Super Wildcard.

It's funny seeing Street Fighter Alpha 2 on that list. I can specifically remember for years that game didn't work in any SNES emulator (borked graphics, but had sound). Sounds like this may have been the reason.

Agozer

Agozer

Board Script AI | 16-bit Corpse | The Mummy

• User Admin
  • 19,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games, plain and simple.

In the case of Street Fighter Alpha 2, the issue was with a very specific graphics compression/handling used by the game, via a custom chip in the cart. Naturally, Dump units had no support for these special chips. It's the same deal with Star Ocean and a few other titles, like Far Eden of the East.

Alpha

Alpha

• Admin
  • 7,464 posts

In the case of Street Fighter Alpha 2, the issue was with a very specific graphics compression/handling used by the game, via a custom chip in the cart. Naturally, Dump units had no support for these special chips. It's the same deal with Star Ocean and a few other titles, like Far Eden of the East.

It appears you are completely correct. It also seems the chip may have had a dual purpose to work as copy protection as well. But where were people buying copied SNES games?!?! I've never seen one in my life. 

The chip Street Fighter Alpha 2 apparently used is the S-DD1, which caused obvious load times in the game to load all the sprites at the "FIGHT" screen.

http://en.wikipedia....-DD1_chip#S-DD1

Bambi

Bambi

Highly Complainy Soldier

• Super Moderator
  • 1,927 posts
  • Interests:Too much to list...

Waay back I remember there was a game genie code for showing you screens that say "We don't support piracy! Call 1-XXX to repeort anyone.".

If I'm thinking right the major game that had anti piracy/cheats was Super Metroid. It would also erase your saves if you tried the code.

ken_cinder

ken_cinder

Cyborg Admin

• User Admin
  • 4,484 posts
  • Interests:Everything

That's because that code causes the game to see an SRAM location that shouldn't exist(And even on a legit cart, doesn't, but is still "mapped"), one of the most common copy protection types...such as the one referenced in the OP>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users