What's a good PSX RPG?

Sultan

That's all the RPG that I and my friends recommend (But there's more than that......) :

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy 8

Final Fantasy 9

Chrono Cross

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 2

Thousand Arms

Vagrant Story

Valkyrie Profile

Xenogears

Star Ocean 2nd Story

Lunar

Lunar 2

Tales of Destiny

Tales of Phantasia

Tales of Eternia

Legend of Dragoon

Wild Arms

Wild Arms 2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PSX port of Tales of Phantasia, while being as excellent as it's SNES counterpart, hasn't been translated.

Parasite Eve beats it's sequal in terms of gameplay. PE2 was too much like RE. PE on the other hand, was closer to being an actual RPG.

The PSX port of tales of Phantasia, while being as excellent as it's SNES counterpart, hasn't been translated.

Parasite Eve beats it's sequal in terms of gameplay. PE2 was too much like RE. PE on the other hand, was closer to being an actual RPG.

I have to agree with that, PE2 wasn't as good as the first.

Parasite Eve is one of the few I've played for PSX (along with both LUNAR, Saga Frontier, FF7 and FF Tactics). I really liked PE and hated PE2 for the change in style. I also hated Saga Frontier and FF Tactics.

I've been checking game review sites for screenshots and reviews, and think I'll start with Chrono Cross (just because I loved Chrono Trigger so much), Xenogears (looks incredible) and maybe another one.

I was thinking of actually buying (GASP!) these games so I'll just try and find an ebay set for sale that includes those two and others.

The only reson I have so many PSX CD images is the simple fact that most of those games were never released in Europe. So I flip off the developers and publishers by downloading those from the internet. :P

Btw, one that I forgot to mention was the Alundra games.

I just got Thousand Arms. If you really like Xenogears and Chrono Cross, you really have to give Valkyrie Profile a ago. Tri-Ace's finest. Best battle system ever.

I can throw one in here, Legend of Legaia. Though it was a bit odd having fighting game commands in the battle sequences, I found it to be a pretty entertaining RPG.

I can throw one in here, Legend of Legaia. Though it was a bit odd having fighting game commands in the battle sequences, I found it to be a pretty entertaining RPG.

Interesting, but it sounds like it would be hard to play w/o a gamepad. And I keep putting off buying an adapter for the ones I have. :P

I just got Thousand Arms.

I love this again. I rememeber when my crew had the old school "gaming sessions" (the GS99 sessions as we like to call it, before we got into Lanning). We played this game to death before we returned it. Got to the second disc in 19 hours, woooo such an accomplishment back then. Now a days, 19 hours is like, 10 hours if you do everything right and skip side quests.

Battle Hunter. That's all I have to add.

I've had problems getting some games to display properly myself. Most square games I have a problem with...and just those. :) Is there a good FAQ for configurations somewhere?

Edited by LordKanti

Battle Hunter.  That's all I have to add.

I've had problems getting some games to display properly myself.  Most square games I have a problem with...and just those.  :banghead:  Is there a good FAQ for configurations somewhere?

Ask me. :banghead: What games exactly?

I've had problems getting some games to display properly myself.  Most square games I have a problem with...and just those.  :(  Is there a good FAQ for configurations somewhere?

Ask me. :lol: What games exactly?

All of them. :\

Tactics, 7, Saga Frontier. They're not working too badly, but they have a few bothersome glitches here and there.

Tactics has problems outside of battle with the map not appearing and some weird menu patterns.

Saga Frontier doesn't erase the text from the text boxes, it just overwrites it, leaving a bunch of letters in there confusing me. This includes battle menus.

I don't remember much wrong with 7 actually. I'll get back to you on that.

I've had problems getting some games to display properly myself.  Most square games I have a problem with...and just those.  :(  Is there a good FAQ for configurations somewhere?

Ask me. :lol: What games exactly?

All of them. :\

Tactics, 7, Saga Frontier. They're not working too badly, but they have a few bothersome glitches here and there.

Tactics has problems outside of battle with the map not appearing and some weird menu patterns.

Saga Frontier doesn't erase the text from the text boxes, it just overwrites it, leaving a bunch of letters in there confusing me. This includes battle menus.

I don't remember much wrong with 7 actually. I'll get back to you on that.

I can say that both Final Fantasy Tactics and SaGa Frontier are *seemingly* flawless over here... Seven as well, but it's been a while since I last emulated it. What plugins are you using?