Joystick / Pad in C64 Emulator

Does anyone know how to use a controller in WinVice? I don't know how to set it up and can only use the keys. In games like IK+ it is impossible to do moves that press more than 3 keys (Down + Right + Fire) and the PC internal speaker will beep meaning I am pressing too many keys at once. So I need to use a controller but cannot set it up.

The options it gives in the pad set up are unlike any I have seen before. Instead of using a seperate button for each direction, it says x-axis, y-axis or z-rotation. Obviously, to work correct it would need x and y axis (left and right + up and down).

Please help if you know how to use a controller in WinVice.

• 2 weeks later...

Dammit, this topic still has no replies just because it has to be in this section. But we all know that if I put it in the current affairs (so i would get replies), it would be moved...

• 3 weeks later...

How about the instructions I provided in the FAQ at the top of this board of threads? I'm not sure where the settings are giving a problem for you right now. The pad or joystick movements are what x&y are for. Anyway, here's quoting from the FAQ:

For the WinVICE emulator, click Settings on the menu, and see Joystick settings. Click the down arrow in the field below the words "Joystick in port #1" and choose PC Joystick #1 (assuming you want to use the game controller you have listed in Windows Control Panel as controller #1). If you find that you can't do anything in a game, it may be that the game requires Joystick in port #2. You can press the Alt key with the J key to move the PC controller setting to Joystick in port #2 (and you can repeat those key pressings to switch the setting back).