I Had An Idea... But...

I wanted to get more game music onto my computer. I've got a bunch of disc media now, from saturn thru PS2, and I realize that I can rip the earlier disc media (saturn, PS1, DC?) with that... but I wanted to try it with PS2 discs. namely lament of innocense. great music in there. winISO didn't do it. this is because (I remembered after the disc wouldn't read) I have a cd drive, and PS2 media is dvd rom. is it at all possible for a cd drive to read dvd media? I could have sworn I saw it advertized a long time ago and I'd really like to get something like this going. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to get more game music onto my computer. I've got a bunch of disc media now, from saturn thru PS2, and I realize that I can rip the earlier disc media (saturn, PS1, DC?) with that... but I wanted to try it with PS2 discs. namely lament of innocense. great music in there. winISO didn't do it. this is because (I remembered after the disc wouldn't read) I have a cd drive, and PS2 media is dvd rom. is it at all possible for a cd drive to read dvd media? I could have sworn I saw it advertized a long time ago and I'd really like to get something like this going. any help would be greatly appreciated.

A normal CD-ROM drive cannot read DVDs.

another pipe dream dies hard :(

heh, thanks anyway agozer

another pipe dream dies hard :(

heh, thanks anyway agozer

Heh well, reality bites. :blink:

The reason why is because the DVD-ROM laser is much thinner than a normal one and the architechture of DVD is different from CDs.

A normal CD has microscopic data tracks and the laser read/write from/to those tracks. A DVD has these tracks much closer together; that's why a thinner laser is used.