Hustling free add sites is it possible?

emsley

I was thinking if I could make £10 to £20 per item and managed 5 a week it would be a return. (eventually move on to more expensive items)

After looking at this idea for a long time today it seems to boil down to more luck than anything else.

I've noticed people sell for a bit more than what its worth, but as a seller this becomes tricky as getting the item for a price that leaves a sell on margin is incredibly tight with items that are in the low cash range.

It appears PS3s are a pointless exericse now, but Phones and 3DS's are the ones to aim for.

Anyone got any experience in this?

Emsley,

One of the companies I manage does device reselling. This is essentially exactly what we do buy them at or slightly above the value of our competitors and then turn around and resell them for a small profit. We have a mid size operation although we have a very small amount of employee's and volume.

I'll start with the important things to make sure of:

1. Make sure the devices you buy are worth buying. ie no apple ID locks, or severe mechanical issues. Also if they are black listed most people wont buy them. It decreases their value significantly.

2. Ad's are never free, and if you get free ones there will be a severe downside to them, for example usell.com charges from $20-$50 per device depending on the type of device.

3. Look into CheckMEND. Its a small charge, but it will allow you to double check a devices status.

Now I would say its not so much luck as it is knowledge. I'm in America, but if you get a lot of devices I could move them for you easily with those marginal profits you're looking at. As for your original question, hustling free ad sites, I don't really suggest it, most aren't reputable, and most wont get you traffic because they're advertising on wheelchair sites or something.

I'll send you a direct link to my companies website that does mobile device purchasing.

Emsley,

One of the companies I manage does device reselling. This is essentially exactly what we do buy them at or slightly above the value of our competitors and then turn around and resell them for a small profit. We have a mid size operation although we have a very small amount of employee's and volume.

I'll start with the important things to make sure of:

1. Make sure the devices you buy are worth buying. ie no apple ID locks, or severe mechanical issues. Also if they are black listed most people wont buy them. It decreases their value significantly.

2. Ad's are never free, and if you get free ones there will be a severe downside to them, for example usell.com charges from $20-$50 per device depending on the type of device.

3. Look into CheckMEND. Its a small charge, but it will allow you to double check a devices status.

Now I would say its not so much luck as it is knowledge. I'm in America, but if you get a lot of devices I could move them for you easily with those marginal profits you're looking at. As for your original question, hustling free ad sites, I don't really suggest it, most aren't reputable, and most wont get you traffic because they're advertising on wheelchair sites or something.

I'll send you a direct link to my companies website that does mobile device purchasing.

You are full of surprises old lad, thanks for that PM lots of info to make sure how to gauge a phones price, nice!

I'm not doing a lot of deals lately like I said im just starting up but will keep this in mind man, thanks.

My theory is roughly accurate to get a constant stream of money ticking over.

I have working capital of £350 which isnt a lot but its just enough to get it started.

Right now I can get access to broken Samsung galaxy's, case screen is cracked and touch LCD screen isnt working.

So a replacement case and screen, this is the stuff Im still learning about.

As long as you hit your own sweet spot on the sell on its all relevant.

When you go to sites that give you cash for your goods they have LOADS of phones and second hand stuff, so there must be people selling at lower prices to actual true market value.

For example gumtree has free adds but the people selling their phones on their are REALLY pushing the price.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/samsung-galaxy-note-3-unlocked/1073891989#photo-content

With this price even if I got some cash knocked off the sell on is high risk.

Id say the item I listed above has a true market value of 270 to 300.

So realistically I would have to buy the phone from that seller for £250 cash..

However on "the street" where you can bump in to all kinds of things (of course legit)

is the place to start I think, expanding a social circle to all types of people will expose you to the most return.

In the areas I live people are not quite as rich as they should be and selling something quick is a good time to have your name out there.

I keep my eye open for all kinds of things if there is a chance to make 10 to 20 bucks and its a clear chance then I will take it.

How hard can it be?

That's basically how it starts, we have a bunch of regular customers, its funny but one of them sends us hundreds of phones, they get them for free and they really make a killing. But most do the same thing your looking to do. Be very careful with samsung phone's, after all if the digitizer is damaged at all the phone is worthless. Even if you swap the glass the whole point of the phone is gone, and because samsung has their phones patented no other company can make the LCD's in them. Even buying them at any monetary amount would be a loss at that point unless you develop the contacts at one of the korean/chinese factories and pay them under the table to fix the screen. Pretty much impossible. Just be very thorough on the devices, I don't know how meticulous you are at inspecting devices, but even the smallest scuff can drop the price when reselling it. Most people try to price their sales on eBay. I really suggest watching some youtube tutorials on different inspections, both apple devices and samsung devices have different types of inspections. And lastly if you buy a stolen one you can't recoup your costs, so be careful on that aspect. I would even suggest calling the carrier before buying it. And I know I said lastly with that one but just as a rule of thumb, if you've never heard of it, its not worth it. For example, my friend keeps trying to sell me his HTC DNA, he's told me the specs and mentioned how its the best phone hes ever had. But the resell value is between 80-180, and thats if it sells. A lot of times you could end up sitting on a device for a long time. Just keep positive about it and don't break the bank!

Let me know how its going, I look forward to hearing of your successes!

• Like 1

Since I first posted this topic I have gone at it.

Firstly I'm trying to increase my capital, so I have put up for sale all kinds of stuff, golf club set (washed it all) blu ray box sets that still hold value, possibly a brand new electric cooker and fridge freezer.

Im planning to sell my brand new items and replace them with second hand in good condition items, its a flip but it adds capital. I got these on a rehousing scheme that I qualified for.

Near flips over the past two days:

High quality mountain bike, I even put the advert up before I'd bought it generate interest.

I got one solid bid from an eager buyer for £150, but here comes the guy im buying it off, He is wanting 200.

Will he sell for 100? No. Might sell for 160 if you have the cash on the spot!

Then I need to hold out for a sale.. So I passed on this.

High quality BMX:

He wanted a quick sale, at 65, condition of bike is really good so no problems as selling "very good condition no marks or scratches"

Just as I bid 55 the guy sells it. would of made £30.

I also did a fake Iphone advert to see how far people in my city will go, listed an Iphone4 with pictures of it looking immaculate, listed it as unwanted gift, unlocked, with receipt.

It's £150 cheaper than the official apple store and NO ONE has bid for it. What the fuck!!! 170+ listing views, and 7 hard views... 7 people rejecting an item like that? How can they?

Thats like sitting in a shop all day and seven people who want a bargain look at it and say "Hmm thats not a good enough bargain for me today!"

For some reason bikes, moto x field bikes, seem to attract the most activity on the site im having to use at the moment.

Im going to concentrate on trying to flip smaller pit bikes that kids/teenagers can use once my capital is up.

Im hoping to get a pay pal account sorted then move on to an Ebay account, it seems you get more viewers there and its easier to sell obscure items.

This is going to take some time to get it off the floor huh? :rofl:

Just like to mention how hard it is for work in my area, a woman puts up an ad for her stairwell decorating I'd charge a basic rate of £100 for glossing and white washing, and basic restore of the wall, 8 to 16 hours work. This is professional work, no cowboy shit, no throwing on the paint. Then Id charge a little less for the colour finish, around 40/60 quid.

Anyway over 20 people tried to get the work, and I just thought what's the point!!! I even saw two guys i grew up with tagged for the job.

What are they gonna do fight it out for who can do it cheapest?... whatever.

Edited by emsley

yeah thats not work, thats competing for doing the work for free. Its not worth the work if your going to discount your services just to get the work. You're better off continuing with this idea. Just be careful, one wrong investment and it can hurt in the beginning. I would do a bit more research on that pricing £150 seems a bit high. The going rate for an iPhone 4 here is $150 which is £88 there. And that's on eBay. Flipping bikes is a solid idea too. You could also do like yard sales and swap meets for the weekends to get those. Not sure if you have those there but we do, people will sell their bikes for $5-$30 bucks here.

Yes my friend I am struggling in my first week to get the idea off the ground.

What Items have you found to be easy to flip?

I will go look at car boot sales, in the UK this is a bunch of people in a field selling stuff out the back of their car.

I want to work, I want to get a job but thats not happening at the moment.

I offered a family relative one bedroom for free to make sure she likes my work then i would charge after that room.

It was going to be fully plastered, and professionally finished including the ceiling, radiator restore, skirting boards restored and base painted with john acrylic paint.

The door would be sanding down and made to look as new as I can get it. Now, she does not want it!! :( All she had to pay for was for plaster and paint.

This is the stuff I want to get in to dealing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cr-80-85-Breaking-/171391634452?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27e7bccc14

Id like to buy and repair, simple engines and gaskets compared to 4 strokes which are complex.

People who want this stuff usually have the cash and the passion.

One thing you should take into account with this stuff ems is how fast can you turn a profit? You're talking about repairing and reselling, but in actuality how long will the repair take, how much money for the parts, and is the profit you make on it going to be enough? The ideal situation is buying a perfect product at a low enough price that you can turn around a minute later and sell it to the next person for double. Thats incredibly rare, so in this instance if you spend the money on the repairs, plus the time (which takes from you buying more and flipping them) then you're losing money. Now I'm not saying its not worth it, but make sure what you get isn't going to take you a week to fix, because at that point you've lost a week of potential profit. Starting out is always slow, but when you get to the point where you make 150-300 a day and can hire someone and pay them 80 to monitor and buy for you so all you have to do is fix them then you really don't want to put too much time into the fixing part, unless you can turn a really good profit from it. That bike is only £0.99 so if you can get it at that price great, but you will probably have to pay quite a bit more, and then once you repair it you're looking at £650.00 since you can't control the others looking to buy it, theres a real chance it could shoot up to £350-£500 and become too expensive to fix. I would stay away from repairs in the beginning at least until you have more capital.

• 4 years later...