MAME 64 for Windows 7 options menu

mohan

The clipping and general imperfections of playing arcade games on my monitor and it's high refresh rate is irritating. Through many internet searches I have been informed that the problem can be either fixed or improved with the use of triple buffering and a refresh rate sync.

I don't even know where to begin though because, I do not know how to access the options menu that everyone else seems to have easy access to. I'm actually really annoyed that I should even have to ask this question, should it not be intuitive or obvious?

I am brand new to emulation and I have a lot to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Are you using the very regular, command-line driven MAME or one of its derivatives, with a GUI? Because by the sound if it, you have the official 64-bit "Windows" MAME, which functions mostly via command-line only.

This setup is definitely not ideal if you truly are as new to emulation as you claim to be. A much friendlier alternative would be to download a plain x86 build (i.e. 32-bit) of say, MAME Plus, which has a neat graphical user interface. This makes fiddling with MAME's global emulation options much easier, including enabling/disabling triple buffering and refresh rate sync, and vsync.

Are you using the very regular, command-line driven MAME or one of its derivatives, with a GUI? Because by the sound if it, you have the official 64-bit "Windows" MAME, which functions mostly via command-line only.

This setup is definitely not ideal if you truly are as new to emulation as you claim to be. A much friendlier alternative would be to download a plain x86 build (i.e. 32-bit) of say, MAME Plus, which has a neat graphical user interface. This makes fiddling with MAME's global emulation options much easier, including enabling/disabling triple buffering and refresh rate sync, and vsync.

I am using the 64 bit Windows version. I will definitely download the version you recommended. Is there any benefit to using MAME 64-bit? If I wanted to learn how to use it properly, could you provided me with a resource? Anyways, thanks for information; I really appreciate it.

Supposedly the 64-bit version of MAME is faster on 64-bit operating systems, but it's not like I have any hard evidence of it. Most widely used derivative MAME builds are 32-bit only. At least the last time I checked.

As for reading material, the FAQ on the official MAME site explain a few basics about the vanilla, command line-driven MAME: http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php?title...Asked_Questions. Another fairly good place for info here: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/MAME

More reading material can be found on Google without too much effort, and with decent search terms. You can also ask for specifics here if you feel like it.