[SOLVED] Pokemon FireRed Save Problem

Hey. I'm having a little trouble with Pokemon FireRed with regards to saving.

Before you say anything, I HAVE read the topics dealing with the unique cases with Pokemon and DBZ save problems and have rectified that situation (I can run FireRed without the error). However, my problem is more than just getting the ROM to work.

I'm running VisualBoyAdvance-M version 1.8.0 (SVN926).

I began playing using a vanilla, unpatched ROM and, since the save function didn't work, I'm using the emulator's save state. However, now that I fixed the save problem, I want to be able to resume the game I was playing earlier. However, when I open the save state and try to save normally (I also check to confirm that the save type didn't revert back to the one that caused problems), I still get an error. I simply want to get that specific game to save properly.

Edited by AvataroftheSun

This has most likely to do with the fact that a savestate is an exact representation of an emulators "state" at the moment the savestate is created. Meaning, that everything, every register, memory address, etc. is contained in that state.

Now, you've fixed the save problem, and load your save state. You still get the same error because the emulator still functions according to the myriad of parameters that were in effect when the state was created -- including the information about a wrong savetype in use.

So I'm assuming then that there's nothing that can be done to recover the game I had going. Would this be correct?

Yes. There is a reason why Haldrie and others stressed the need to start a game from scratch after making sure the savetype is correct.