roms no longer work on new laptop?

New member and first time poster, so take it easy on me if this sounds like a dumb question but I need some help figuring this out.

I purchased a new laptop yesterday morning equipped with windows 7 (64-bit if that makes any difference).

My desktop runs Windows XP.

I've been using Mame Plus (VER. 0.123) for the longest time and have never had any issues at all. It's been by far the most compatible version of Mame I've ever used so even though, it's no longer the latest version, I never really had a reason to "upgrade"

I have a fairly large collection of roms to go with it and they all work flawlessly.

When I got home yesterday, I transferred Mame Plus to my new laptop for the first time. It loaded up perfectly and ran all my games smoothly and without issue. I was super excited since being able to play Mame "on the go" with my new laptop was a pretty high priority for me when I bought the laptop.

Later in the afternoon,, I did a fresh install of windows 7 (to get rid of all the bloatware that came on my laptop) and after re-installing Mame, not a single game works. Mame itself works fine. Loads up, and displays all my roms and screen "snap-shots" after an audit. The problem is whatever game I open, it goes through the load-up boot screen, reaches 100% and then just before it starts, it stops and a window pops up saying there's a bunch of files missing from the rom and the game cannot be played. It's the same for all of them now.

I tried going into Mame Plus! properties and selecting "windows XP" for compatibility but still nothing.

The games want to start, they load up but then just stop just before the title screen appears.

What has happened? It worked perfectly the first time I tried it. Now nothing?

It's the same exact program, same version and the same roms. Nothings changed, but now suddenly files are missing from every rom?

Everything still works on my desktop so I know that the files were not somehow corrupted during transfer so what gives?

I've tried finding an original copy of Mame Plus 0.123 to extract it from scratch, but cannot find it anywhere on line.

I managed to get one version of mame working on the laptop, but of the 130+ games I have, it will only play about a dozen and crashes often.

If anybody can help me out on this, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Old School Gamer

What files are reported as missing?

Off the top of my head now, I can't remember the exact extenstion or name of the files. But usually there would be about 10-12 "missing" files/parts to each rom. They had the name of the rom in the title, followed by what seemed to be random numbers/letters (I know they're not actually "random", they DO mean something, but what I'm saying is the numbers/letters weren't actually spelling anything out)...

I ended up just deleting the Mame Plus Program and have spent all afternoon, downloading different Mame emulators. Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck with any of them. Not a single one has had anywhere near the compatibility with roms as MamePlus! (0.123). The highest number of games any of the newer Mame programs have been able to play out of my collection is 60.

60 out of nearly 140 games that Plus! used to play (and still does on my desktop). This really sucks. I don't want to lose that many games...

I suppose if nobody can explain what happened to the original MamePlus I was using and why it won't play any games anymore, can anyone at least recommend a good version of Mame for me to try out?

You should really post at least some of those filenames, because it sounds like that you are missing BIOS sets or some other required sets.

Okay, here's an example.

King of Fighters 2000 loads up then a window pops up saying:

---------------------------------------------

257-sma.bin NOT FOUND

257-p1.bin NOT FOUND

257-p2.bin NOT FOUND

000-lo.lo NOT FOUND

sfix.sfx NOT FOUND

257-m1.bin NOT FOUND

sp-s2.sp1 NOT FOUND

sm1.sm1 NOT FOUND

257-m1_decrypted.bin NOT FOUND

257-v1.bin NOT FOUND

257-v2.bin NOT FOUND

257-v3.bin NOT FOUND

257-v4.bin NOT FOUND

257-C1.bin NOT FOUND

257-C2.bin NOT FOUND

257-C3.bin NOT FOUND

257-C4.bin NOT FOUND

257-C5.bin NOT FOUND

257-C6.bin NOT FOUND

257-C7.bin NOT FOUND

257-C8.bin NOT FOUND

ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run

Mame starts up perfectly fine and displays all my games and screenshots when I first run it. The roms will load to 100% then I get the error messages. I just can't figure out why they all worked when I first tried them on the new laptop. Now nothing....

After I do an audit, none of the games appear...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance regardless. :)

Your King of fighters 2000 romset is not a proper MAME romset. You are also missing some required MAME Neo-Geo BIOS files, that should be present in neogeo.zip. You are most likely trying to run outdated game/BIOs sets in a newer version of MAME, and that usually leads nowhere. The Neo-Geo driver has gone through many changes and improvements over the course of several MAME versions.

Your King of fighters 2000 romset is not a proper MAME romset. You are also missing some required MAME Neo-Geo BIOS files, that should be present in neogeo.zip. You are most likely trying to run outdated game/BIOs sets in a newer version of MAME, and that usually leads nowhere. The Neo-Geo driver has gone through many changes and improvements over the course of several MAME versions.

Thanks for the response.

The thing is, I'm not trying to run a newer version of Mame. I literally put my entire Mame folder onto a thumb-drive from my desktop and transferred it over to the laptop and into the programs folder in the (C:) drive. Nothings been changed. None of the games work anymore (though they did the first time on the laptop), regardless of whether they're NeoGeo or not.

If I plug the usb stick back into my desktop, I can open and play all the games, from the USB stick itself, if I wanted, so I just don't get it. Is it a windows 7 thing? Why did they all play the first time?

Anyways, this sounds like a lost cause. I guess I'm just going to have to forget about Mame on my laptop and play with my other emulators. Unfortunately, I'm even having issues mapping controller keys on my SNES emulator as well where as it works fine on my XP desktop.

These problems are probably all Windows 7 related. I'm really starting to dislike this operating system. :)

Thanks again for trying to help.

If there's nothing else you can suggest, I guess this thread can be closed.

Make sure that MAMEs directory settings match its current location. Did you copy the MAME files directly into the C:\-root or somewhere else?

Did you copy the MAME files directly into the C:\-root or somewhere else?

Dragged and dropped the entire Mame folder (and all its contents) into the "programs" folder on the [C:] drive in my laptop.

UPDATE!!

Finally solved the problem !!!

I was going through each of the menu options in Mame trying to figure out if I had somehow changed a setting or directory and saw the option "Reset to Default..."

Inside the sub-menu, there were 4 categories.

=======================

User Interface [font's,colors,sizes]

Default game options

All games to use default options

Folder "filters"

=======================

I selected them all and hit "okay".

Just like that, all my games are now playable once again. Every last one of them !!!

It's a good thing too, 'cause over the past two days, I've downloaded just about every single version of Mame out there, and NONE of them, could play even a fraction of the games I already have saved. I'd just about lost hope. Now that ver. 0.123 is up and running again, I'm as happy as a pig in s**t :)

Thanks a lot Agozer for taking the time to try and help me figure this out. You're the only one who did. I appreciate it man! B)

Now I just have to figure out why ZSNES won't allow me to map the buttons on my Logitech controller and freezes up. Once I figure that out, I'll once again be able to play all my favorite Super NES games too!

Yeah, simply copying the MAME folder from one drive to another can mess up its settings in more ways than one, so it's a good idea to either do an entirely clean install or reset all the settings to default values.

About ZSNES and your Logitech; it's it a Dual Action or some other model? Make sure that the Logitech Profiler isn't running, plug the controller in and start ZSNES. Then go and configure Input #1, select Keyboard/Gamepad --> click Set --> click Set Keys.

Yeah, simply copying the MAME folder from one drive to another can mess up its settings in more ways than one, so it's a good idea to either do an entirely clean install or reset all the settings to default values.

About ZSNES and your Logitech; it's it a Dual Action or some other model? Make sure that the Logitech Profiler isn't running, plug the controller in and start ZSNES. Then go and configure Input #1, select Keyboard/Gamepad --> click Set --> click Set Keys.

Just figured out the problem with Zsnes.

Originally, I had downloaded and unzipped Zsnes from scratch and onto my laptop, Installed my roms into the appropriate folder and got everything up and running except for the controller mapping. Zsnes would freeze-up and I'd have to ctrl-alt-delete to exit then force-close the program. No matter what I tried doing, the results were always the same. It simply wouldn't allol me to map the buttons on my Logitech Duel Action without freezing after the first button push.

I then decided to do what I'd done with Mame, which was to simply save Zsnes off my desktop computer and simply transfer it over to the laptop with a USB thumbdrive.

Although this was the reason why I couldn't get Mame to work properly (the setting got messed up) it ended up working with Zsnes. Go figure. :(

Simply copied the entire Zsnes folder into my programs folder on my laptop and presto, all was fine. Keys were already mapped and ready to go.

Now all is well again.

Thanks again Agozer!