M.A.M.E Newer games

Hello all, it's been awhile since I posted here; many years have past. ( is Agozer still around/ he/she'd always helps me with emulation troubles)

Well on to my question. Ive recently started using MAME, back in the day I had gotten emulators that could play the newer games that i wanted, but i cant seem to remember how to do all that.; So Im trying out MAME. MAME recognizes the roms of the newer games but yes it says it needs a CHD to play. I remember in the past I played certain games on Mame without the need for anything called a CHD, but apparently now you do need it. My question is, is it possible for me to create one from the game rom? or is there some way I can find this info within the Rom I have? Ive been searching the web but haven't come across any sort of place that has my games.

Games:samsho V, kof 2k3,kof2k2, SVC Chaos. if any info is not allowed to be put here Could someone Pm me the method of creating it? I dont think all CHDs are available for the games i want to play. Maybe im not searching well enough.

Thanks in advance.

No Neo-Geo game requires a CHD to run. The Neo-Geo isn't that complex of a system despite featuring some form of copy protecting in games released in 1999 or onwards. The reason the romsets you have now do not work is because MAME requires the encrypted romsets for these games.

As for the CHDs themselves, you can't create one unless you have the original arcade board, its peripherals and proper equipment to dump the needed disc image as a CHD file. If MAME tells you that a game needs an additional CHD file, then you need to hunt one down. Granted, most games do not need a CHD because the arcade hardware for those games didn't rely on any HDD or CD-ROM drives for additional data. Not so with newer, more complex hardware and games.

If you want to know what MAME games use CHDs, check this link: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/srch.php?chd=yes

Hmm. I see, so just so im on the same page. An encrypted Romset version of the game is different from a CHD? or somewhat similar to it?

Also, I find it odd my street fighter alpha 3 that plays fine in an emulator like Nebula also asks for a CHD.

thanks again, I guess Ill have to find the encrypted versions of these games.

An ncrypted romset contains individual ROMs with their copy protection data intact. Durin loading the emulator (be that MAME or any other emulator that supports encrypted sets) decrypts the information and thus allows the game to load properly. A CHD file is often the same as say, a disc image of a game (i.e. it contains an exact replica of data found on a CD-ROM or a HDD depending on what medium the arcade system used) and used to stream additional data to the game that was too big to fit on regular ROM chips.

I haven't lokked into Street Fighter Alpha 3 or any other CPS-2 game as of late, but I suspect that you might either Mix CHDs with XORs or Street Fighter Alpha 3 with Street Fighter III (which does require a CHD).