I need a new computer desk (and possibly chair)

Shibathedog

I hate my desk, it is too small and uncomfortable to sit at. I definitely want a new one but I keep finding the same old crap. I might even get a new chair later. Something cheap would be nice. It needs to be very deep because I have a very large CRT monitor. I don't mind keyboard trays. The part for the PC also needs to be very very large. I have a Thermaltake Armor full tower case. I wouldn't mind putting it on top of the desk or just on the floor next to it. It would need to be on the right side though because of the fans/stuff that would be on the left side though.

Several years back, I actually switched over to using a modular office desk set. I have one 60" desk and an additional 36" desk next to it. I didn't pick up the hutch or any extras because I like having the open space, it allows me to easily re-arrange things as needed. As far as depth goes, you may want to look into a corner desk because those will likely accommodate your CRT best. If you go with a long and straight desk, the CRT can cause it to bow in the middle pretty bad.

Chairs can be a little difficult to pick, but a good rule I use when buying them is if you sit down it it and you can feel the board on the bottom, there's not enough padding and it probably isn't worth buying. If the padding is that thin when it new, it will be like you're sitting on a board after a couple of years of use. Unfortunately, that usually rules out most chairs below the $250 range. Other than that, I try to avoid leather as it doesn't breathe and if it's cheap, it will crack and fall apart in a few years.

The last piece of advice I would give is to make sure you keep your receipts - most furniture companies give long warranties and will replace any parts that may wear out. I had my desk surface replaced about 5 years after I bought it, and my entire chair (with the exception of the metal base) replaced after 7 years. This can save a fortune down the line.

Edited by VT-Vincent

Yeah the monitor is pretty heavy, to avoid the desk bending I usually put it above on of the supports off to the side a bit. I don't think I could use a corner desk and have it fit, but I will look into these modular desks, I didn't know they made something like that. Is it like one of those IKEA deals where you buy pieces that attach to each other to expand your desk?

Yeah the monitor is pretty heavy, to avoid the desk bending I usually put it above on of the supports off to the side a bit. I don't think I could use a corner desk and have it fit, but I will look into these modular desks, I didn't know they made something like that. Is it like one of those IKEA deals where you buy pieces that attach to each other to expand your desk?

The modular collections are actually designed primarily for office and cubicle use, but due to their flexibility they can be great for a home office/workstation as well. The two desks I have are from this collection. With how many components are available, you can create pretty much anything. Unfortunately, it can be a bit expensive but it's well worth it. The build quality and durability are far above any other desk I've used in the past.

When I put together my setup, I opted for something a bit simpler:

current-ws.jpg

that is indeed a nice looking desk. It would get totally ruined if I had it though. I think maybe I should go for a home depot type work bench. My current desk has all kinds of scratches/nicks/stains/burn marks/missing chunks :D I use it for projects as well as my PC so it gets pretty abused.

You may want to consider a glass-surface desk if you're concerned about the surface. Unfortunately any particleboard desk is going to be really prone to scratches and gashes, my old one looked terrible. Luckily, I managed to keep the scratches to a minimum on this one, but there are still a few here and there.