need to use external monitor as default monitor on laptop. ARGH! not working

I need to use an external monitor as the default monitor on my laptop computer. the only problem is, when i select the option to use this monitor as the default monitor and click apply, the screen goes into sleep mode. the screen works fine if i set it as "extend my windows desktop to this monitor", but i dont want that. i have tried more than one external monitor, each one completely different, and they all had the same problem. i think that the problem might have to do with the drivers i have installed on my laptop computer. when i boot up the computer, i tried going into VGA mode, but the screen is in full colour and the screen is too small for me to effectively do my work on. in vga mode, the screen os in about 800 by 600 or something. normally, the screen would be 1400 and something by something-or-other. the laptop screen is normally 1024 by 768. and byt the way, i am using xp service pack 3. if it is possible to use both screens the same way, like they are both the primary monitor, that would be best. the only video output on my laptop computer is the vga output. i know that i can use safe mode but i cant get certain work done in safe mode. ie movie maker.

any suggestions??

I need to use an external monitor as the default monitor on my laptop computer. the only problem is, when i select the option to use this monitor as the default monitor and click apply, the screen goes into sleep mode. the screen works fine if i set it as "extend my windows desktop to this monitor", but i dont want that. i have tried more than one external monitor, each one completely different, and they all had the same problem. i think that the problem might have to do with the drivers i have installed on my laptop computer. when i boot up the computer, i tried going into VGA mode, but the screen is in full colour and the screen is too small for me to effectively do my work on. in vga mode, the screen os in about 800 by 600 or something. normally, the screen would be 1400 and something by something-or-other. the laptop screen is normally 1024 by 768. and byt the way, i am using xp service pack 3. if it is possible to use both screens the same way, like they are both the primary monitor, that would be best. the only video output on my laptop computer is the vga output. i know that i can use safe mode but i cant get certain work done in safe mode. ie movie maker.

any suggestions??

what drivers are you using?

If you just want to 'mirror' your laptop screen onto a bgger monitor, what i do is i DON'T select extend, i go into display settings > advance > display > and then i see 3 things; a monitor, laptop, and tv. I turn on the monitor and select mirror mode.

I'm running omega drivers for my ati x600 btw.

well, i kinda fixed it. reinstalled windows and updated drivers