Generation 2: Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis

Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Did not have a chance to came upon a Megadrive in this part of the world. SNES was the cheapest so it was rampant here, with rampant piracy too :D

So, I grew up with Megaman series on SNES mostly plus games like Ninja Gaiden 2, Yuyu Hakusho, SF2 and some other platformers. But arcades are the rage here, and always associated with truancy, gangsterism and social ills.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the genesis had a 3 and 6 button controller. i had both systems as well im just still sticking with the SNES,it really just had more memorable games for me. and earthworm jim was the crap jitway. i loved that game one of the most comedic games back then.

Genisis controllers were 3 buttons standard at first if I recall, then later on the 6 button pad got released. My 6 button was shaped like a SNES controller, it was the one that came with eternal champions.

Genisis controllers were 3 buttons standard at first if I recall, then later on the 6 button pad got released. My 6 button was shaped like a SNES controller, it was the one that came with eternal champions.

I must have missed that because the 6 button controller for the Genesis looks completely foreign to me. Did some games only work with the 6 button controller or did the 3 button controller work with all of them as well?

I must have missed that because the 6 button controller for the Genesis looks completely foreign to me. Did some games only work with the 6 button controller or did the 3 button controller work with all of them as well?

Most games were more playable with the 6-button (street fighter, MK, SoR, etc)

The Genesis controller was 6 buttons? :)

genesistk4.jpg

The standard controller was 3 buttons and remained that way AFAIK. The 6 button was only released to coincide with SF2 CE in 1993, to allow for the full 3 punch/3 kick setup. Because the 3 button was the standard, no games were allowed to use all 6 buttons exclusively like the SNES could.

Most games were more playable with the 6-button (street fighter, MK, SoR, etc)

And some games just had little extra features if you used one of the extra buttons (Boogerman exclaims, "Booger!" if you hit an extra button, IIRC).

Hell, the Sega Genesis even had a portable version of itself. You could also buy the Power Base Converter and have backwards compatibility for the Sega Master System. There's also the Sega CD and 32X... which are a bit gimmicky, but did have good titles like Knuckles' Chaotix, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Fighter. The only comparison we get from Super NES is the Super Game Boy attachment -- for playing Game Boy games on the Super NES. That's kind of boring, especially since the point of a Game Boy is mobile/handheld gaming.

Well true, but it was cheaper to buy a Master System than the Powerbase converter. Not to mention the 32x and Mega CD were ridiculously expensive here in the UK. I did get a Mega CD at one point for Sonic CD, but the cost:fun ratio was embarrassingly low.

Yeah, like iq said, the biggest problem with SNES and Nintendo was Nintendo's hardass stance in terms of censorship. I'm sure many remember Mortal Kombat for the SNES and how most gamers regardless of age flocked over to the Genesis to play the same game.

Sure, the Genesis version looked and sounded a lot worse, but it had the one thing that made Mortal Kombat THE Mortal Kombat; the blood.

Honestly speaking I don't believe that Nintendo has shaken its censorship roots entirely even on this day and age.