Metal Gear Online Announced

metalgearonline-2.jpg

Given the prevalent online modes in both MGS3 and MGSPO, it comes as no surprise that Kojima Productions is finally working on a dedicated Metal Gear Online game.

During the Metal Gear Solid 20th Anniversary party earlier this morning, Konami announced a new title in the MGS franchise: Metal Gear Solid Online.

In the game, players are thrust into an online battlefield supporting up to 16 combatants. Gameplay will be largely based on stealth. You'll sneak up on opponents and deliver quick kills.

Additionally, players can expect to see familiar faces from the MGS universe in the game, as well as stages and the same control scheme found in the upcoming MGS4.

For those living in Japan, Konami has opened up registration for the closed beta. Only 3,000 individuals will be chosen, and the beta test goes through August 20 to September 3.

Check the eXophase forum post for more screenshots.

Since this seems to be the MGS4 engine / setting all the way, I'm surprised this is going to be a standalone title, and not simply a multiplayer mode for that game. Maybe Konami is looking to recoup some development costs which may not turn over quite so well given MGS4's PS3 exclusivity?

Source: eXophase.

I doubt it'll be a good hit... I never really got into the MGS games but by the looks and sound of this there are too many similar MMOFPS games