The best graphical effect you have achieved

Presently I run my mame/emu stuff on a Pentium-D 3.0 cpu with 1GB of DDR2 ram,my present gfx card is a 256MB Nvidia Geforce 7300GS.

Here's wat I have to say...

The best graphical effect I tried without having to deal with slowdown or laggy frames was Andrea's Scale 3X,I tried using Maxim stepin's HQ 2X and above but the results were less than extraordinary,so my question is_

Has anyone here tried running Maxim stepin's HQ 2X or above wif NO slowdown or such,if so pls display yr PC or gfx card specs so I may take pointers :rolleyes:

HQxx filters are extremely CPU tasking, and even the most high-end computer might have trouble running them. On the flipside, considerably lower-end machines can run even HQ4X without even losing a single frame.

I remember MaxSt once telling me on IRC once that the fluidity of the filter depends heavily on the bandwidth and the bus between the CPU and the GPU (or something of that sort anyway, I don't remember since it's been a while).

Personally, I've never got any HQxx filter to run smoothly on my machine, but at the same time I know people who get constant framerates with HQ3X with a Geforce 2/3 equivalent card.

Do note that my observations are based on ZSNES, not MAME but the filter is the same.

Yes, HQxx filters are the best if you want a sharp picture, the like of [super] 2XSaI and Kreed's Supre Eagle are a lot faster, but they're additive blur filters.

• 10 months later...

I just upgraded to a E6420 Core2duo O\C to 2.33GHZ with a GF 7600GT and 2gb DDR400 ram. The highest setting I achieved with no slowdown (on some older games) was HQ X 2. I tried it on ESP and Guwang and it was beautiful. Then I tried a more demanding game like Dragon Blaze and I had to scale back to Andrea's Scale 3X.

I was an AMD user for a while and I just bought a new Athlon64 4000 just four months ago. Why the switch so quickly? First my motherboard started having problems with my ram. Then I learned about PCSX2 and the increase compatibility in games. I was in total awe when I started Playing some PS2 games on my pc.

I also use HQ settings on SNES9X. Life is good :clapping: