Bryan McPhail's MAME WIP News

olaf

Emu#dreams reports that Bryan McPhail has been working on fixing hardware support in MAME, the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. Below is his post from his MAME work-in-progress page.

There has been a long-standing known bug in dec0.c for some time (checking my notes, it's been there for 7 years!), in that row & column scroll could not be applied to a tilemap simultaneously. The reason for this limitation is that Mame's tilemap system did not support this. Anyway... I've re-implemented the rendering of this sytem by providing a new tilemap draw function that correctly implements simultaneous row & column scroll. I also verified the rendering of all video modes using a trojan on a Birdie Try board. This finally fixes the waterfalls in Midnight Resistance! (It doesn't really affect any other games, but the source code is much cleaner now).

Whilst working on this driver I noticed there are several revisions of games that are still not dumped, eg, Japanese Heavy Barrel, World Fighting Fantasy, USA Boulderdash. If you have any games on this hardware please check the revision/rom-code ID against Mame to see if you have an unsupported set.

You can visit Bryan McPhail's MAME WIP page here to see screenshots and more.