NEC ND-3540A Firmware

Shibathedog

Okay so i upgraded my drive to 1.03 firmware, but why is Alcohol 120% saying my fastest Burn speed is 6.1X? Isnt it supposed to be 16X? I tried it with no disc in, and all i have is 1X and 6.1X as choices, when i put a Disc in, i get an extra option of 2.4X

Should i get one of these firmwares http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/3540/

the "Fast" version? I Know RPC1 is basically region free, with software, but wtf is Fast and Slow? Are they just the orginal firmware with Riplock removed? what the heck? lol im really confused

Why cant i burn at 16X!??!

Okay i remember what this is now, For all people that have this problem with ANY new drive, pay attention.

For some reason, All your supported speeds wont show up in the list untill youve actually inserted a disc that supports that speed.

For instance, all i have inserted so far is a 6X DVD, so im getting the speeds 1x-6X that the burner can use, Im not even going to see the rest untill I insert a 16X DVD.

Same goes for regular CD burners, because this same thing happened when i bought that CD burner.

I dont know why it works like that it just does, I even did a dump of my firmware and checked it, and sure enough there is media listed as being 16X.

BTW i knew these discs wherent 16X i was just concerned on why it wasnt showing up, not trying to burn at 16X on a 6X disc XD

yeah thats what that one page is that i posted. I'll probably try a new firmware soon just because they seem more efficient.

Im still confused as to what the difference between the "Fast" and "slow" ones are, because the readmes for them both say that they are both RCP1.

And why do i need a Bitsetting firmware if you can just change that in the DVD burning software? Is that just something that software didnt support in teh past so you needed the firmware but now its not needed anymore?

I because the software has one bit setting, and the firmware has one. if you set it to something else (let's say software) or remove it completely, the firmware's bit takes precedence... and vice versa.

RPC1 drives don't have hardware supported region switching, so the region can be set only once. RPC2 let's you do it up to 5 times, and it's either Windows-controlled, hardware or software.

Once the region is removed from firmware, the software ones kick in and need to be defeated as well. RPC2 drives can use an autoresetting firmware which resets the region count everytime the drive is rebooted thus you don't need to worry about software counters... although some people say that hardware manufacturers can easily detect autoresetting firmwares, so you'd still need to clear the software counters too.