MDS + MDF file dumping

Right.

I just got myself a chipped playstation, I naturally grabbed my copy of Suikoden and burned of a copy, after a bit of trail and error with a few programes I got a copy going. The sound stuttered a bit in places but I was stoked I actually managed to do it.

I was surfing the net and came across some ISO downlaods for PSX games, I was like "wow, this could work". Quick as flash I have Legend of Mana blistering down my 56k connection. A week later when it had finished downloading I burned the image and fired up the PSX. Success! It played no problems.

I came across a torrent for Suikoden II, I loved the first one so I thought "Sweet! I'll grab that!". Little did I know the contents of that.rar file would consume my life for the next few weeks.

I got an MDS and MDF file. I heard that they are Alcohol 120% files so I got my self a copy of it. I try to open the MDF file and Alcohol 120% claims not to know what it is, an "unknown format".

Grrrrrrrrrr

I converted it to an ISO, nothing. I converted it to a BIN file and my emulator played it but not my chipped PSX. I have come to my witts end. I feel like I have tried everything. Burning at low speeds, at high speed, different burning programmes and different file formats.CloneCD, Deamon Tools, Nero, Alcohol 120%, Magic ISO, ISO buster, virtual drives - Nothing works. What am I doing wrong? I have so far wasted 10+ CD-Rs. I can't afford to waste CD-Rs, I need that money for food!

I am now a hollow sheel of my former self, hoplessly trawling the internet in a quest for the answer. Those Lord of the Rings characters have nothing on me. So please, someone, somewhere must sure know the answer to my ever burning question.

How do I dump MDS and MDF files?

It seems to mount the MDF file ok but it don't work with the MDS file."Unable to mount image. File not acessable" it tells me. The MDF file is huge, over 500megs and the MDS is tiny, only about 400kb, its a "media descriptor file" if that helps. I'm not sure if I need both files to dump it or not. I'm kinda new to the whole virtual drive thing, I understand how it works I just haven't really used it much.

I advisable to always mount with MDS, CUE and other image information files. You should check the MDS file that it points directly to the right MDF file. That's why Alcohol 120% doesn't want to burn it and DT can't mount it, because it can't find the file where the MDS points to.

I opened the descritor file ( the small one) with alcohol 120% and nothing, I then named the MDS and MDF files that same and opened the descriptor file and it said it was 510 megs no 400kb.

So I burned it off and it works perfectly.

The answer was not blindingly obvious but I cant help but think it was staring me in the face.