XMAME file detection problems

This probalby isn't a problem exclusive to XMAME. For some reason, certain *.bin files aren't detected when I attempt to play certain games. To be more specific, I've got ROMs of every Metal Slug game, but only Metal Slug 2 works. When I try to play mslugx, for example, the only error I get is that 250-c2.bin is not found. Yes, I have the neogeo BIOS, and I know the directory containing my ROMs is being properly detected.

Is there any reason why only certain *.bin files wouldn't be detected?

When I check what's in the ZIP file I get a bunch of files with the *.rom extension.  Is that a problem?

Also: what are CRCs?

CRC refers to Cyclic Redundancy Checks. It's usually a 32-bit hex value that's like a fingerprint of the file. MAME and many other emulators use CRC checks to make sure that the set (and the files in it) is the one they support.

The problem lies in the fact that the filenames aren't what MAME expects. So you need to rename them (yes, extensions and all) to match the xxx-xx.bin that MAME wants.

256 is Metal Slug 3, and the ph1 and ph2 files belong to the set which has decrypted C roms and encrypted P roms. You could try renaming the P roms in your set to ph1 and ph2, but that might not (or then again, it might) help.

Post the contents of your 256 set just in case.

The board rules make it clear that you can't ask where to get rom files, so you'll have to find those yourself.

The mslug4.zip file contains:

263-c1.bin

263-c2.bin

263-c3.bin

263-c4.bin

263-c5.bin

263-c6.bin

263-m1.bin

263-m1_decrypted.bin

263-p1.bin

263-p2.bin

263-v1.bin

263-v2.bin

Even though the number in the zip file for the game is 263, it still asks for 256-ph1.rom and 256-ph2.rom. Has anyone else had this same problem?