[4/24/04] A Few Adventure Games

Okay i've been reliving my love of adventure games lately, and I thought i'd review the ones I just finished.

In my view it is a terrible shame that nobody is making REAL adventure games anymore. By that I mean 2D, point-and-click games with outlandish and obscure puzzles and often alot of disparaging humour at the player's expense thrown in. These games were all made in the 1990s. Also they are all available at http://www.the-underdogs.org

Ace Ventura

This, as the name suggests, is based on the "ace ventura: pet detective" movies. More accurately, it is based on the cartoons that were based on the game. The same guy that did the voices for the cartoons did the movie (and he sounds ALOT like Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura). The plot-line is as would be expected; you have to save animals from evil injustices. The game is clearly designed for kids, but is entertaining nonetheless. The puzzles are simple as expected for a kids game, but some parts require lateral thinking. Despite its simplicity its amusing to click through the game - its like watching one of the movies. There are also a few jokes that were obviously aimed at older players: surprisingly, there's something of a sex scene (although it's described as 'eskimo kissing', and reference to enemas. The only thing marring this game is the action sequences, which are simple but can be annoying, but may be entertaining for kids. Overall, this is a fun game to play, especially if you liked the movies. But be warned: this game is BUGGY.

Score: 6/10 (lost.5 of a mark for bugs)

Beavis and Butthead: Virtual Stupidity

Another game based on a cartoon, this game is a must for anyone who is a fan of the 'beavis and butthead' series. The thing that gives this game its uniqueness is that all the backgrounds and all the in/game movies are hand-drawn in the same design as the cartoons. Better yet, once you reach your TV, you can listen through a number of video clips from hard-rock/heavy metal acts to which Beavis and Butthead have lent their unique commentary - just like in the TV series! The plot involves beavis and butt-head skipping school in an attempt to join Todd's gang. The puzzles are nothing special still, but the game is definitely more difficult than 'Ace Ventura', and there are a few stumpers. All the favourites from the show show up: Todd and his gang, Daria, the hippie teacher, the insane principal. The only difference I noticed is that for some reason the classic MetallicA and AC/DC t-shirts are gone, and replaced with generic heavy-metal sayings. The best part of this game is that it is littered with the same humour as the tv series, and the fmv in-game sequences are fun to watch. This game also has mini-games, they're not that fun, but they'll while away a few minutes. Overall, this is a must play if you like Beavis and Butthead, and a should-play if you like old-school adventure games.

Score: 7/10 (add 2 if you are an avid fan of the TV series)

The Gene Machine

This is probably the longest game from this list, and the closest to a traditional adventure. The complex storyline, set in Victorian London, begins when a talking cat turns up at your appartment, telling you about The Evil Doctor Disney ( :lol:) and his gene machine that can combine 2 animals' DNA. You, as one of Her Majesty's Secret Agents (like a pre-james bond kind of thing) must stop this man from taking over the world (insert evil laugh here). It is the storyline that is this game it's credit, as it will take you to the moon, the lost city of Atlantis, and the high seas, as well as letting you explore Victorian London at the start.

This game is littered with historical references (eg you have a conversation with "Jimmy the Ripper" and encourage him to "clean up the streets"; when a professor drags you to the moon in search of cheese, you tell him "you'll find Americans on the moon before you find cheese!"), the jokes can be cheesy but overall it is a fun game, well worth playing for its storyline. The puzzles are mixed: you'll find a few stumpers, a few medium-hard ones and a few easy ones. Overall, although it is the longest game of the 3, it is still a little short for my tastes though.

Score: 7.5 (.5 extra for its good storyline)

Edit: I know these games aren't played on emulators, but hey, we all like PC games too, right?