Spyware...Uh huh "7400+ Objects Detected"

I've ran several check ups on my comp and all seem to be finding "threats/errors" on Windows by the thousands. I've ran Norton 2005, AOL Spyware check, Spybot Seach & Destroy, and Ad-Ware. Norton found some 2000 wierd shiznats, but Ad-Ware...omg. I got this program from one of AOL's recomendations in addition to their own "2 is better than 1" And so I DL'd both of what it showed. Anyway...Ad-Ware. Shiznaits! It's still scanning but as of now, its found some 4,500 "critical" objects.

3 Proccesses Identified

4 Modules Identified

65 Registry Keys Identified

97 Registry Values

7200 + Files Identified! <<< Most from 'C:\Windows\'

What could this possibly mean...

*It's still scanning and still climbing, I got sick of changing the numbers...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch... You could format it, it's be the simple way out. Or you could attempt to fix it and keep some of your data. Actually you could probobly keep your data anyway, as long as it's not infected.

I'd take whatever you need off of it, then format it. But I don't actually know how to format it...

This is something that has been repeated over here countless times:

- install a firewall

- shut down all unneeded services

- keep your system patched and up to date

- do not run as administrator

- do not run untrusted programs (especially as administrator)

- avoid IE.

my pc is fully protected lolololol 

i got super spyware detecter

if spyware detector is your idea of "fully protected", then i hate to see what unprotected is.

antiviruses, spyware cleaners, registry cleaners are BS. They only address the symptoms of the problem, not the root cause of it.

Edited by ugenn

why shouldnt one run as an administrator, doesnt running as one give you administrative access persay and let you do more things?

And another thing, is it okay for windows components to access the web "behind my back."? Sometimes I get this msg that my firewall has dected a windows component trying to connect to the web, is that okay?

And if all that internet security is all jus BS and how they dont really address the root of the problem then what does?

Edited by ThatHotAnimeGuy

why shouldnt one run as an administrator, doesnt running as one give you administrative access persay and let you do more things?

Yes, so does the virii/malware. Go google for "sandboxing" and "principle of least privileges" for details.

And another thing, is it okay for windows components to access the web "behind my back."? Sometimes I get this msg that my firewall has dected a windows component trying to connect to the web, is that okay?

Generally speaking, no. Some sh1t is definitely going on.

And if all that internet security is all jus BS and how they dont really address the root of the problem then what does?

Implementing a proper security policy and actually following it. Sandboxing and least privilege principles are 2 things that such a policy consists of on top of what I mentioned in my earlier post (firewall, patch your machine etc).

Many ignorant people think that security is some super software that you can just install and be done with. The reality is that security is not a product but a set of best practices which users should follow to prevent/reduce their exposure to malicious activities and software.