MameoX 0.87 - djohng

djohng

Other topic on FBA-XXX was getting extremely cluttered with discussions on my work on the MAMEoX updates. So I decided to start a dedicated topic for this work.

-Update on the work. I'm finalized the core updates; everything compiles fine, but I need to work on the xbox controls, since the mame core has significant changes to the controls.

The source work on mameox that I doing should help make future mame core updates an easier transition. Plus I'm documenting the heck out of the source code changes in this version, so others can follow in my "footsteps"

-djohng

PS - Dont' bother asking for feature requests, release dates, beta testing...etc. etc. If you want to comment on things you would like to have.. fine...its a free world! Just like with FBA-XXX source changes, I'm updating the MAMEoX for my own personal use. If others can build on my work great! That's my reasoning for sharing the source updates and documenting the work.

Once I finish MAMEoX, I'll go back to FBA-XXX or Halo 2 whichever happens first :blink:

what are some of the new games we will see in .87? i got the mame.87 set complete clrmame'd with chd's on my xbox 120g ready to go but i didnt even check out the new additions on the pc when i transfered it....i can understand your anticipation for halo 2 man....its gonna rox on kai..i bet people will make some sick new maps now that map making is relatively easy for halo 1

If i could choose between halo2 and your new work i think im actually more excited about your work...thanx so much man...

how many hrs. you think you have into the mameox update? man i wish i could watch you work...this monkey wants to compile :afro:

what are some of the new games we will see in.87?  i got the mame.87 set complete clrmame'd with chd's on my xbox 120g ready to go but i didnt even check out the new additions on the pc when i transfered it....i can understand your  anticipation for halo 2 man....its gonna rox on kai..i bet people will make some sick new maps now that  map making is relatively easy for halo 1

If i could choose between halo2 and your new work i think im actually more excited about your work...thanx so much man...

how many hrs. you think you have into the mameox update?  man i wish i could watch you work...this monkey wants to compile  :lol:

New games? - just check out the 0.87 what's new.txt in the PC version. This has all the new additions...and some of the other games that were removed...like classic pong.

To get a number of the new games to work, you still have to utilize and play around with VMM. I'm not adding any hacks or going back to previous code versions (ie. MK series). I'm trying to make future versions of PC MAME easy to intergrate into the XBox source (unless a major change in the PC version...like the controls...that I'm working on now)

...like I said once Halo 2 is out...there's going to be a fbaxxx & mameox work stoppage...in fact, I'll probably take some vacation days from my real job! B)

Hours...never really thought about it...3-4 hrs a night/3-4 days a week - probably 15 hours a week...3 weeks = 45 hours total. And I get paid in real life $60/hr...$2700 in labor...you can pay me when the jobs finished! :P

-djohng

Quick update for anyone whose interested...

Uploaded my latest source (MAMEoX087) to the FBA-XXX djohng site. Based it on 0.84.3 with minor source changes for lightguns, MAME087 and VCCMAME087.

No, it's not complete. Try compiling and it errors out on the xbox controls portion (the last section)

The control source in MAME was changed drastically in 0.85. So the MameoX controls have to be re-written. Since most of my programming background is non-XBox related this will probably take longer than I expected; though I am making progress...albeit slowly since I have to learn the structure of mameox as it compares to the mame controls, while changing it.

Mostly xbox_keyboard.cpp and xbox_joystickmouse.cpp require the changes.

Link to source is at http://www.thraxen.com/emu1/mameox87.zip

-djohng

i bet that X-port could put the finishing touches on the source in a few mins...he did the vmm thing

he is on xb-scene forums

THANX DHJOHNG!!!!!

I think it's going to take more than a few minutes to fix. If you know anything about coding, the xbox controls need a complete rewrite to make it compatible with the pc source. The "keyboard/joystick/mouse" concept in the pc version has given way to more generic digital or analog controls....which from an xbox view is a more simpler concept, but it still requires a complete rewrite of the code....and some understanding of xbox architecture

And if memory serves me...X-port isn't interested in updating the mame source...he's working on some kind of MAC emulator at the moment.

-djohng

i bet that X-port could put the finishing touches on the source in a few mins...he did the vmm thing

he is on xb-scene forums

THANX DHJOHNG!!!!!

I think it's going to take more than a few minutes to fix. If you know anything about coding, the xbox controls need a complete rewrite to make it compatible with the pc source. The "keyboard/joystick/mouse" concept in the pc version has given way to more generic digital or analog controls....which from an xbox view is a more simpler concept, but it still requires a complete rewrite of the code....and some understanding of xbox architecture

And if memory serves me...X-port isn't interested in updating the mame source...he's working on some kind of MAC emulator at the moment.

-djohng

im going to #xboxhacker and #mameox on efnet....alot of wise xbox people in there mostly hardware guys but maybe they can help...pixel8 in particular might know someone who has the knowlege.....What you need more or less from what i can understand, is a "map" of what this new generic mame controler code means in xbox input(controler) terms...right? cause it was easy and widely know what these generic control codes meant to pc keyboard commands because all mame dev is done on pc...rarely on xbox...

sound about right?

you may want to pose a "challenge" to the xbox-scene...to see if anyone can do it...if you can get it in the xb-scene frontpage news im sure the right eyes will see it...

Your da bom

thanx again

ps : thanx for posting the source...alot of people are greedy with their work..it shows your generosity to the scene in general

Edited by sammaz

i wonder what new game  :)

i think we get vasara 2 and a few other new shooters for sure...i dont know about the rest....oh and the preliminary neogeo-64 hyper games...i havent tried to start one yet...i know they arent even close to done...but just to see something load in neogeo-64 will rox!!!