Seven Die in 'Internet Suicide' Pact

Alpha

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese police said Tuesday they were investigating a group suicide in which seven people who got acquainted through the Internet killed themselves.

Four men and three women, mostly in their 20s, were found dead in a car parked on a mountain in Minano, Saitama prefecture near Tokyo, the police said.

Police found four charcoal stoves in the car, the windows of which were sealed from the inside. The car was wrapped in blue plastic sheets.

"We believe they all died after inhaling carbon monoxide from the charcoal," a police spokesman said. "We believe they got acquainted through the Internet."

One of the seven had sent an e-mail to a friend Monday saying he would commit suicide, the spokesman said.

"We found no traces of violence that could have otherwise led to their deaths," he said.

Police said cases of "Internet suicide" had started to come to the fore in early 2003 and that a total of 34 people had killed themselves in such pacts.

This is just outrageous and sick. So are we going to start seeing IRC chatrooms that label as #suicide? I hope one day we figure out how to resolve this and to actually help the people and not basically show them the road to suicide. :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about this in the papers yesterday. Oh well, I'm sure they had their reasons.

Any reasons in the world shouldn't drive anyone to suicide.

Hey, they're are (or rather were) japanese. Their reasons don't speak for the rest of the people.

Edited by Agozer

I read about this in the papers yesterday. Oh well, I'm sure they had their reasons.

Any reasons in the world shouldn't drive anyone to suicide.

Hey, they're are (or rather were) japanese. Their reasons don't speak for the rest of the people.

Oh yeah, we are talking about people who like to eat raw, bath in public and have three religions in three different stages of life :banghead:

One hell of a road trip!!