Rom Links (Discussion Split from SamSho5SP Thread)

Dooz

By the way, getting rid of roms on an emulation site is a FANTASTIC idea! No, really! Good job! Nothing wrong or hypocritical about that! :blink:

First of all, this site NEVER had roms. And secondly, emulation is about emulators. You can find roms and bioses on your own, emulators are the real part of emulation. All the major emulation sites have the exact same policy and those that don't usually close or are overun with rom kiddies.

You're right, it never did have roms. But it did have rom links. That makes it so that the site itself can't be closed. I may be wrong, but can't only the person who hosts the roms e sued? You would only be given a message to take the link down. So there really is no harm to you if you have the link section back up.

Secondly, why have emulators but no roms? So you can only play the bios? Oh, wait, you can't link to those either. Emulation is comprised of two things: The emulator and the emulated. Why have an emulator if there isn't anything to emulate?

Thirdly, yes, all major emulation sites do have that policy. But that makes them all the same and incredibly useless. That's why I first came to 1Emulation, the fact that you could find roms that aren't easy to find.

With nearly every rom request by new people around here, you tell them to search on Google. It isn't that easy. We at least know what to search for. A lot of people don't. If they knew what to search for, they wouldn't be asking for help.

I'm tired of seeing people new to emulation being turned away from an EMULATION site looking for things to EMULATE. It's pointless, it's stupid, it's rediculous. Just putting back the links section would solve many problems for no danger to you (Exept losing affiliates from the "big emulation sites", but who cares?).

And your biggest concern is roms kiddies? There's a reason the site has moderators.

Edited by Dooz

You're right, it never did have roms. But it did have rom links. That makes it so that the site itself can't be closed. I may be wrong, but can't only the person who hosts the roms e sued? You would only be given a message to take the link down. So there really is no harm to you if you have the link section back up.

Secondly, why have emulators but no roms? So you can only play the bios? Oh, wait, you can't link to those either. Emulation is comprised of two things: The emulator and the emulated. Why have an emulator if there isn't anything to emulate?

Thirdly, yes, all major emulation sites do have that policy. But that makes them all the same and incredibly useless. That's why I first came to 1Emulation, the fact that you could find roms that aren't easy to find.

With nearly every rom request by new people around here, you tell them to search on Google. It isn't that easy. We at least know what to search for. A lot of people don't. If they knew what to search for, they wouldn't be asking for help.

I'm tired of seeing people new to emulation being turned away from an EMULATION site looking for things to EMULATE. It's pointless, it's stupid, it's rediculous. Just putting back the links section would solve many problems for no danger to you (Exept losing affiliates from the "big emulation sites", but who cares?).

And your biggest concern is roms kiddies? There's a reason the site has moderators.

All those issues were discussed and weighed before the change. It boils down to this: emulators are legal, roms and bioses are not. Many of the sites that allows roms and roms links aren't located in the US so they are not subject to these laws. GameCop is not going to put himself in legal jeopardy just to appease a few people who are in need of rom links.

And searching for roms with the use of Google isn't that hard. I never asked for a rom in the request forum but I tried to fill as many requests possible and did so with the help of Google.

It was a tough change to go through with but ultimately necessary. Hell, I didn't even notice a change after it.

But this is horribly offtopic...

But would GameCop be in legal jeopardy? http://www.consoleclassix.com/legal.php Distributing roms is illegal. But would GameCop be distributing the roms? No. Why? Becuase he isn't hosting the site who uploaded the roms. He is linking to the distributer, who can be sued. However, GameCop cannot, for he is not distributing the roms. However, I am sure that agenies can request that a link to the distributer can be terminated, or legal action will be filed. Then you can simply delete the link.

And again, searching for roms CAN be hard for those who don't know what to search for.

Edited by Dooz

Mere linking to illegal material is considered illegal by US law if I'm not mistaken.

Whatever the right way might be, this isn't the thread to discuss that. Make another thread in Current Affairs if you must discuss this "issue".

I hope the rule stays.I and many other want this forum to be about emulation This is not a rom site if you are seeking roms I suggest you go looking for rom sites This is a forum and thats how it should be.

Remember share reactor? It wasnt in the US, it didnt host warez or links... just semi-indirect hash values... effective enough. Site lasted along time, though, its gone now, I read he got into some trouble...

:peopleseybrow:

I believe there is an "assisting illegal activity" type clause that is being used against things like P2P programs and rom or warez sites. You don't have to host the roms or warez you link to to be considered a proponent of illegal activities, at least to most hosts or isps, if not to the law.

If someone is "turned away" from emulation because we won't direct-link them to the hottest new rom, that's a problem of their own laziness. Google works and failing that there are plenty of other resources out there. If you want to talk about games or emulators, then this is the place. But you have to get your roms on your own.

Fact of the matter is this: GameCop has made his decision based on solid reasoning on a level above and beyond the "emulation scene," (IE Real Life) and plenty of the members, myself included, support him on it.