PSP will ship by year's end and emulation news

Alpha

By Tony Smith

Published Monday 11th October 2004 11:34 GMT

Sony has once again reiterated its plan to ship PlayStation Portable (PSP) in Japan by the end of the year and in Europe and the US during Q1 2005.

Sony Computer Entertainment CTO Masa Chatani - interviewed by Japanese gaming site Famitsu, with a translation coming courtesy of GamesIndustry.biz - said last week that the handheld console will ship by the end of 2004.

"Our plan to sell the PSP within the year is secure as well," he said, "so please be at ease."

Sony's proposed ship date has certainly been called into question. Analysts have pointed to the relative late arrival of PSP software development kits with console hardware, and the knock-on effect that will have on the availability of games for the new machine.

Games developers are believed to have been working with emulators, so the arrival of quality titles may not be as much of an issue as previously thought. Sony may well have enough games of its own up its sleeve to ship the product to gadget-hungry Japanese. That would give it up to three months to build up sufficient titles to win over European and US buyers.

Questions remain over aspects of the PSP's design, including battery life - just two hours, claimed a Nintendo executive last week - its size and the availability of content on the handheld's Universal Media Disc format.

It has to be said, most of the folk mentioning these potential pitfalls are Sony competitors. The manufacturer itself is keeping very quiet about it, presumably after having last year to drop a number of promised PSX features in order to meet its ship date.

Credits: http://www.theregister.co.uk

-----------------------------------------------

This again is big news for the PSP and I still wonder how the DS will be emulated if at all. Since we never really know. :blink:

Well there is a DS emulator in the works called DSemu and apparantly the tech docs for it have been leaked. I don't know how true that is, but if it is then it won't be too long till we see one.

But I really like that PSP emulation news...I hope that's true. Someone needs to sneak into Sony headquarters and jack a copy of that emulator. :blink:

It's funny how the first GBA emulator can to be almost the same day as the handheld was launched... not to mention that PE2000 distributed the Super Mario Advance rom image before rthe game was officially out. :) I hope DS won't have the same fate with it's games.

personly i think its kinda dumb to have an emulator for something that out on the market at the moment. I mean come on dont be cheap go buy one and injoy it as it really is. I can see it now... instead of people using there finger on the ds touch screen they will be using there mouse on the comp :) now a flash card would be a complete difffrent story :) lol jk

It's funny how the first GBA emulator can to be almost the same day as the handheld was launched... not to mention that PE2000 distributed the Super Mario Advance rom image before rthe game was officially out. :) I hope DS won't have the same fate with it's games.

Yeah, I remember that as well. They had it on the front page a full 2-3 weeks before the release date, and there was already a working emulator out at the time. Shortly afterwards, PE2000 went down, and I suspect that's why.

Man, that site was awesome. Too bad there will never be another one...