Civilization III

I absolutely love this game.

Beating the games takes a LONG time. The game officially ends at 2050 and I usually don't win till the very end.

What group are you playing as and what way do you want to win?

1) Always use the Governer. He'll take care of the micromanaging and will keep your towns riot free usually.

2) Use your first warrior unit to explore and search for all those special mounds to get extra gold and crap. Be careful of barbarians but they should be really easy to defeat now.

3) Try to build another city as soon as possible. For every few units you make, make a thing that can build cities. You want to build cities near water and near resources.

4) Try to get atleast 2 workers for each city to plow the land and build mines.

5) Spend the rest of the building for military units. Fortify a few of them in the city and then rest of the outsid the city but inside your boundry facing different directions to take on the barbarians that come after you.

6) Don't be war mongering, especially in the beginning. The computer has a knack for reaching other computer players before you and can ally against you.

7) Try to locate the nearest civilization and trade with them.

8) Don't ignore the Navy. Make sure you build some ports.

9) Advance scientifically AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. Being one tech ahead of the rest can mean a big difference.

I need to get Rome: Total War. The other Total Wars were pretty cool. I'm more interested in getting the new Warhammer though, that looks awesome.

Kanti, if you want to play another awesome game like Civ 3, get Alpha Centauri. Alpha Centauri is the spiritual sequel to Civilization 2. It's just like Civilization but on another planet and its very futuristic.

Civ III rocks! Reading this has made me want to play it again... It's been a while, but my earliest successful strategy was to play as the French, advance as fast as I could to the mounted rifleman unit, and then dominate everyone else on the freaking map before anyone made anything comparable. :)

But yeah, who are you trying to use and how are you trying to win?

Which civilization was it where you could have a hippie government, and go into space to fire big missles at people...from space?

EDIT: And how can I lengthen the..length of the game? I remember actually finishing the game once...but we were only into the third era! And that's lame...cause I can't build ICBMs in the third era...

Edited by LordKanti

Which civilization was it where you could have a hippie government, and go into space to fire big missles at people...from space?

EDIT:  And how can I lengthen the..length of the game?  I remember actually finishing the game once...but we were only into the third era!  And that's lame...cause I can't build ICBMs in the third era...

You can do it with all civilizations. You just have to research the tech for it. You can't lengthen the game, it stops at 2050 AD. But you can keep playing after you have won though. It gives you an option to continue.