UT2K3 1vs1

Aolish

we all know doing a 1vs1 is completely different then doing a regular dm match. you have to completely rely on yourself in fragging the other person. no stray bullet or rocket coming out of no where hitting your opponent. its all about to you. :(

My question is how can i become a better 1vs1 in this game. I've done several 1vs1 and every single game i get completely wrecked/owned. were talking scores at 30-0 almost everytime. i can barely get a single frag off the person im doing a 1vs1 w/. it was just yesturday however i managed to get 1 frag off of a person but that was a lucky shot lol :lol: So any tips and thx. :thumbsup1:

Just keep playing them 1v1 games against med-tier players or lower class ones. I got owned 66 to 5 against TsN|Stile in ut2k4. Oh yeah, change to that :thumbsup1:.

Practice practice practice. And keep practicing or you will lose your skill. I was quite the Quake 3 master during high school but then I stopped playing when I went to college and I suck at it now.

Work on reflexes and a good way to do that is practice with one bot on Godlike. That's the closest you can get to a real human player.

K' Dash: at least you manage to get 5 frags dash. :(

GryphonKlaw: I guess practice makes perfect but at times it seems i feel like im not getting any better. even after all this time im STILL trying to find the right mouse sensitivity. :thumbsup1: man i suck lol :lol:

Edited by c04n_0n 7H3_c08

There's no one way to get better, but practice is definately best. In leiu of a good opponent, Godlike bots are best.

A few pointers:

Learn the "routes" for each map. Most tournament-level players know where all the good stuff is on a map, and roughly how long it will take to respawn if they nab it. The bots even simulate this to a degree. Find a path that quickly takes you through some good weapons, health, armor, and a super item if you can manage it. Also know how to adapt this path if an item isn't there, or if you suddenly need health right away, etc. He who has the most toys, as they say..

Keep moving, preferably along said route. In a deathmatch, pretty much the only time you should be standing still is when you know exactly where the opponent is and you are sure that he doesn't know where you are. Otherwise, standing still just makes you that much easier to hit. This fits well with the first tip. Once you find a decent set of routes, and you get in the groove of moving along them, you should be continually gaining strength (ammo/health/armor/etc) as you move around the map.

I would also suggest a high-ish mouse sensitivity. If you learn to control your view with subtle movement, you'll have the option of pulling a quick 180 when you need it, with just a flick of the wrist. This is obviously one of the tougher things to master, but practice with this subtlety can also improve your aim on reflexive shots. Don't go overboard, but don't let a low mouse speed slow you down either. If you're using a ball-mouse, also make sure the ball and rollers are clean. That's a given, but I thought I'd throw it in just for the heck of it.

I hate playing 1v1 games i dont think they're any fun. I usually practice in games with 4 or more people. But if you want to get better just follow the advice that most people had already gave: memorize the map, assume the position of the opponent (if he has a routine every round he'll be easy to track down), and set a mouse sensitivity level that suits you.

Edited by Smilee

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I can suggest somrthing (This applies to Quake 3 primarily, although I think it can also work to UT2K3.

In 1 vs 1 matches, it is suggested NOT TO RUN. Why? Any kind of sound you will make will make your opponent aware that you are close.

Remember the respawn points for players as well. When you just killed another player, it is a good thing to walk when you're near a player respawn point, because most players will immediately try to find a good weapon as you sure have the upper hand and will run. So you will hear footsteps, when you hear the footsteps, you know they're there..... :)

Thats all I remember for now..... >.<

• 3 weeks later...