The Nature/Nurture Debate

random guy

I just got back from sparing a 260lbs mofo (my weight: 206) my head hurtz, can somebody please break down th question for me?

Do you think your genes has a greater impact on who you are or does the environment you are around influence it more?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to have to tell you guys (because I used to believe in it too, ideologically) but the Tabula Rasa (blank slate) theory has been very out-dated. Because I am an equal-opportunist (is that a word?) I wanted very much to believe that anyone can do anything if given the opportunity - but unfortunately that is just not true. In extreme cases, there are a number of identical twins who ever met each other and yet ended up in the same careers (I remember a photo from my first year psych textbook of two twins who weren't even aware of the other's existence, and yet both of them turned out to be firemen).

As I continue to think about this debate, I am coming to the conclusion that there is no exact percentage that can be attributable in this debate - different people will be affected by their genes and their environments differently. For example, someone who was really abused and understimulated in infancy would have been affected more by the environment, but someone who had a safe upbringing (but no big life lessons or surprises) would be more affected more by their genes.

I have AP Psy and this comes up a whole lot as well:

Well, look at this way. Say someone created an exact duplicate of you. EXACTLY the same genetically. Would he run out the same as me? Do twins, even, turn out the same? No.

Anon.

This guy makes a point...

:o

Anon.

But my point was a lot of identical twins DO turn out to be pretty damn similar - even when they've never met.

Well, look at this way. Say someone created an exact duplicate of you. EXACTLY the same genetically. Would he run out the same as me? Do twins, even, turn out the same? No.

Anon.

Anon.

But my point was a lot of identical twins DO turn out to be pretty damn similar - even when they've never met.

Sure, I give you that. But, consider if the twins were seperated at birth and lived under different conditions. Would they be the same then?

Anon.

Anon.

Anon.

Sure, I give you that. But, consider if the twins were seperated at birth and lived under different conditions. Would they be the same then?

Anon.

That's what he explained in one of his earlier posts.

Anon.

Anon.

Anon.

That's what he explained in one of his earlier posts.

Sorry; I really didn't want to read the insane amounts of postings. :)

Anon.