The Official Samurai Shodown V Special Thread!

James

Sublime music & sfx...what can u expect from another samsho :)

i just got it to work, is it just me or are these the best sound effects ever on a mvs game? i mean playing it sounds alot like watching a Zatoichi film

Ur damn right :blink: best of tha best...i even made mp3s of them...very atmospheric...

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been wondering about how this patch business might be able to be used as a loophole. Distributing roms are against the rules, period. But distributing patches seems to be ok.

So what's to stop somebody from generating a patch for a romset against any arbitry known file (eg command.com) and posting that? All the user has to do is apply this patch on the known file, and he'll get the rom.

the idea is simply not to take the risk of being sued / shutdown or any crap like those by helping in distribution of copyrighted ROM images. patches alone are useless without the ROMs to begin with. they are simply considered tools and are as legit as other ROM utilties on the internet (ROMBuild, MGD -> MVS converter, etc.)

I've been wondering about how this patch business might be able to be used as a loophole. Distributing roms are against the rules, period. But distributing patches seems to be ok.

So what's to stop somebody from generating a patch for a romset against any arbitry known file (eg command.com) and posting that? All the user has to do is apply this patch on the known file, and he'll get the rom.

the idea is simply not to take the risk of being sued / shutdown or any crap like those by helping in distribution of copyrighted ROM images. patches alone are useless without the ROMs to begin with. they are simply considered tools and are as legit as other ROM utilties on the internet (ROMBuild, MGD -> MVS converter, etc.)

You don't get the point. The originals are not needed if you generate an IPS against some known file on the OS. Afterall, a patch is really just the diff between ANY 2 files.

eg. i generate an IPS between m1 and command.com and distribute that "patch", anyone with the same command.com can apply this IPS and it gives back the m1.

Edited by ugenn

You don't get the point. The originals are not needed if you generate an IPS against some known file on the OS. Afterall, a patch is really just the diff between ANY 2 files.

eg. i generate an IPS between m1 and command.com and distribute that "patch", anyone with the same command.com can apply this IPS and it gives back the m1.

well yes, its true that its possible. but IPS patching basically has a general usage that it cant really be deemed as illegal. theres just too many variables (not to include end-users ability to understand these). i think what theyre really trying to do is to prevent any illegal material on the site/forums and IPS patches are the next best thing to circumvent ROM needs.

if IPS patching are law-breakers then this site would have been shut down by Nintendo ages ago.

Edited by Xeon

That's if you generated the patch against the ROM. I'm talking about when you generate the patch against command.com or something else available on all Windows PCs.

Well those sort patches will not be allowed IPS patches are ok.Now are you trying to get patches banned on here as well ?

That's if you generated the patch against the ROM. I'm talking about when you generate the patch against command.com or something else available on all Windows PCs.

Well those sort patches will not be allowed IPS patches are ok.Now are you trying to get patches banned on here as well ?

Just asking, James. Settle down :P