Favorite VGM composers and albums

Agozer

If some of you are into VGM, list a few of your favorite albums and composers.

The reason I made this ttopic is because I have a whole lot of VGM and quite frankly, I don't know anymore what albums I should be looking for that are worth my attion.

I'll start by listing a few of my favorites:

Nobuo Uematsu: Quite self-explanatory. The man is an icon has has made too many

albums to count.

Motoi Sakuraba: Worked for Enix, now for Squeenix. Tales of Phantasia and basically all Tales series music + Star Ocean games. Works a lot with Shinji Tamura.

Noriyuki Iwadare: Works for GameArts. Made music for Grandia's and Lunars. Excellent tunes.

Yoko Shimomura: I like his work very much. Kingdom Hearts and Legend of Mana to name a few.

Tenpei Sato: I found him thanks to Makai Senki Disgaea. Works for ATLUS. La Pucelle and Phantom Brave OSTs are unbelievable.

Masashi Hamauzu: Another excellent composer and thas mainly done music for the SaGa series. (Yes, Unlimited SaGa too; the game is not perfect, but the music kicks ass)

Last but not least... Akira Yamaoka: Simply put, Silent Hill gives me the creeps both visually and audibly, thanks to this man.

Ok, posts your views and give me suggestions.

Edited by Agozer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't forget Yuzo Koshiro, whose work with the Genesis (streets of rage, shinobi) is still awesome today. also whoever the composer at KCE Japan is now, his work with Zone of the Enders is fantastic.

Daisuke Ishiwatari: The rock styles of Guilty Gear, but I dislike his current work with the guitar on Isuka.

Tetsuya Shibata: His work with various Capcom games such as Devil May Cry have made game tunes enjoyable while shooting up demons. Other works would be the Resident Evil seires.

Noriko Matsueda: Most noteable works would be the recent Final Fantasy X-2, but he's done other works, such as Bahumaut Lagoon and The Bouncer. I loved the music in BL.

Kumi Tanioka: One of the composers of FFXI Soundtrack. Made some pretty memorable tracks. Also worked on Crystal Chronicals. Which soundtrack isn't half bad.

Norihiko Hibino: You might know him as the man who wrote the music for Metal Gear Solid. He and Harry Gregson-Williams are a great team when they did MGS:SoL and TS.

Michiko Naruke: Wrote the Wild Arms, Wild Arms 2 & Alter Code F (practially every single) songs. Some are very moving while others seem really intense. And Alter Code F's Soundtrack expands 4 discs, and it's that damn bloody great.

Hitoshi Sakimoto: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy Tactics. I loved the music in FFTA, FFT's was good, but it doesn't match up to FFTA's imo. Other works would be Orge Battle :(

Frank Klepacki: WROTE EVERY SINGLE SONG IN COMMAND & CONQUER!

Dan Forden: EVERY SINGLE SONG IN MORTAL KOMBAT. U/MK3's music owns all.

Hideki Naganuma: Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future's soundtracks. The trance/techno DJ r0x0rz the games.

Yasunori Mitsuda: Chrono Trigger Soundtrack. Including the Arranged and Original soundtrack.

Ok i'm done :shootem:

You mentioned some people there I already know and like/love/adore there Agozer.

Yeah... Ishiwatari, Tanioka, Matsueda, Hibino, Naruke, Sakimoto and Mitsuda are on my list too... I just didn't want to make one long-ass first post. ;)

Shibata's work on DMC was pure genius, too bad the game hasn't got an official OST. The one I have is a #gamemp3s Game Rip.

Both ZOE OSTs are excellent, although I prefer ANUBIS, since it has more techno~ish tracks.

Edited by Agozer

Yamaoka: Silent Hill composer. If it is atmosphere you want, she will give it to you.

Yamaoka is a he, but I'm sure you just made a slight mistake...

Anyway, thanks all who have contributed so far.

I don't have a clue who composed it, but the Zombies Ate My Neighbors music stands as some of my favorite music of all time. The music from the Clock Tower series was good, but I'm pretty sure each one had a different composer, though I don't actually know who it would have been, so don't quote me on it. And a few assorted songs from assorted games.