Time to pick my business major

PLasticSlug

Im sure most of you are too young to care, or not even in college yet or at all, but i have a question about majors, maybe one of you or someone has a brother, mom, dad whatever... who has a degree in one of these fields and could shed some light on helping me find a decision. Anything will help me at this point. I realize that these alone wont really get me sheit, so im planning to get my masters as well.

I am a junior in college, and applying to the business school. When i apply I need a cover letter which clearly states what major I want and why. The problem is I have no idea in what major i want to pursue.

At this point i dont want any "you shouldn’t do business" or whatever im at the point of no return, if i want to graduate in 4 yrs.

The choices are

Accounting- Personally hate this field, and actually just failed a test in it today, (no worries i always make it up later with the next test)

Business Economics

Business management

Finance

Marketing

Management information systems (MIS) - need one more class to apply for this major so, I not really interested in it because it would delay me another semester

Operations Management

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by PLasticSlug

Rather than tell us what majors you don't want, tell us why you DO like each major you are seriously considering. Lay it all out in front and it will become clearer, then we can help you with it. We all have to make these tough choices sometimes, don't worry about it. Focus on the positive - can't be negative over such an important decision.

I agree with darkmage.

Accounting and finance degrees are very popular nowadays. In some ways that is good, because it shows that they can get you somewhere. In other ways, it is not so good, because the market is flooded with people with that degree.

But the choice is yours. I advise you to follow your heart, and not what other people say. If you like the course content, and it "feels right" for you, then follow it up.

Thank god I have nearly finished uni! :pissedoff:

My choices fall between these four majors......

Business management

Finance

Marketing

Operations Management

here is the school http://www.arizona.edu/spotlight/2004/September132004.shtml

Personally i like to be in control, do it my way if i know its best, like to work with people, my worst fear is being behind a desk for the next 4-5 years chugging numbers. In a way i want to play an active part in the business. i guess that would remove finance and marketing. and focus on Business management & Operations Management. I dont mind high stress job, as long as it pays off in the long run, with its pay and vacation time. Their business management program is pretty good.

With marketing i dont really know that much about beside its obvious characteristics. Looking up some career profiles show that it has to deal with sales, that would make it a real beoch. I worked with New York Life during the summer as an office assistant and sales kicks a lot of peoples asses, for instance they will hire 16 people and after 4 months they will be down to 4. Those who make it make a ton of money and those who dont make any sales, literally starve.

Finance i really have not looked up yet. so i dont know.

look.. if you want a career in computers then MIS is the way to go. I have a BS in MIS and now I'm a software developer. It's a great field. You can even go into internal auditing from MIS. One extra semester isn't that bad.

just my opinion...

B)

you know me and my brother were talking for about 2 hours last night, and that is one topic we couldnt stop talking about (MIS), but its so heavily embeded with programing, all the way from the 80's programs to the latest, and looking up resumes online for mis positions they expect you to know at least 3-5 languages. I think in a way it would be the one that i would be most naturally pulled in to. Considering i hate accounting, economics, business math, and all that other shiet. The only problem is if i go for that major, A whole semester would be wasted just for one class. Basically i done with all the gen-eds, and the business college wont let you into the cohort untill you finish that class. So ill think about it.

My other consideration was business management, but that is so increadbily fukin general. but then if not sure what i want it could be it might be a good choice.