Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

I don't know whether some random character is more powerful than another though - say (shingo versus lin in KOF2000 or Paul versus Heihachi in Tekken 3). I like to play as every character in every fighting game and learn all their moves and tactics just to a high degree rather than excel with one or two. Same way that i don't like people who would stick with one super art in SF3 just because a FAQ said it was thye most powerful. I like mixing it up to an insane degree in all fighting games.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah so do I in fighting games. Sometimes using the really obsucre characters or those got severaly nerfed ( Ibuki :`( ) is uber fun. Anyways, Out of all the SF3 games, 3s is the most balanced I think, dispite the fact that Ibuki, Sean and noticable others got nerfed, most notably Ibuki and Sean.

What I HATE is people who stick to the same old, same old just because it works. One of the worst examples, and pushing sticking in a rut to the extreme, is when in tag team games such as the marvel vs series, people choose the same combinations of characters. So you think Wolverine is so powerful at least team him up with cyclops, then ryu, then sabretooth. I fight people who choose Wolverine and Roll EVERY time. Man that sucks. they want to win that much they don't play the game properly. People probably even stick to the same three characters in games like KOF and MVC2. You've got an even bigger safety net for experimentation in these games. Jeez.

Do you mean Ibuki and Sean are poor? I think Ibuki is ridiculously powerful, keeping with the tradition of capcom females. They always try too hard to make them better than the other characters. Her moves list (almost twice as many moves as everyone else) proves that.

I don't like using Ibuki against my brother (who's the only person I play with all the time) because she's so tough.

She's actually a combo whore since 3s came out. She got severaly nerfed in her specials and moves in 3s. Then again, most of the characters that owned in 2I, either got toned down or totally nerfed. But the good thing about Ibuki is her ablity to mix up and with the sheer amount of combos it's possible to use her. Not to mention her Unblockable :o

so Ibuki has been buried under a hail of bright yellow, foam bullets?

Nerfed?

They nerfed her 41236+P by giving it less invincablity start up and longer recovery frames(Better time to get countered, but it is still an unblockable move). Her 236+P move, which was originally done by doing 236+K is fixed, but added more recovery frames to it. They gave her a very useless dash (note: not 6->6 normal dash), a somewhat useful summer flip that you can Kunai out of in midair. Her 241+Rnd.K has less invincablity frames at the end as was toned down. Theres a few more changes, but the one that pissed me off the most was the replacement of her 3rd S.A. that was NG and 2I. Although her new one is somewhat useful and must be blocked low, I still miss the powerful 20 something hit combos(it was a combo launcher, also was very easy to combo into, instantly dealing tons of damage) with the her original 3rd SA. Oh, and her defense rating is one of the weakest in the game. But that's never really bothered me until I'm almost dead.

Overall: She's nerfed, hardcore. I'm talking about Hyppogriff nerfed (if you've ever played Warcraft 3 TFT, then you should know what I mean). She is still very dangerous, because she can cornor combo you to hell. It's not an infinity, but to those who know the recoveries of a certain character, can exploit them greatly with Ibuki. Mix Master Ibuki tactics are the best ones. And Combos such as Jab-firece-TAUNT works wonders (also raises you're attack by 45% every time the taunt connects) when going into her Doushi or Shigure.

Edited by K`dash

She is still very dangerous, because she can cornor combo you to hell. It's not an infinity, but to those who know the recoveries of a certain character, can exploit them greatly with Ibuki.

That sounds crap/disgusting. I never use cheap tactics against anyone. I get no fun from using moves or tactics that the other player has no hope of getting away from. It's just so empty. It makes me feel like having an extra dinner. :P

That's why I would never enter a games tournament. Because those places are filled with losers who live to "cheese you to death" with their secret dirty tactics. Just because they spent 500 hours learning a 90 hit combo, they will play their whole matches just trying to get this one combo on you instead of trying to play the game how it should be played.

That's why I hate King of Fighters 2000 onwards as the people that play them just continually try and ultra combo you.

BTW, I'm not getting at you personally k'dash, just swines who exploit any unbalanced element in any game. :o

You should grab some vids of 3s in action. Some do not disappoint and are very enjoyable. Sadly I don't know where to get anymore since Karathrow.com has taken most of them offline :o

If you want really really cheap and is considered a crazy exploit. The Urien unblockable Argis Reflector Combo. it's just plain frightning.

K'Dash = Compared to the original arcade version. Certain combos cannot be done, parrying is a b!tch harder, and the timing is way off on certain characters.

Who knows what it does, it's Capcom were talking about. They put it in for some reason and everyone doesn't even know why they put it there.

As I was saying earlier, about tweaks and balancing of characters being carried out in the home versions of games such as 3rd Strike, it occurs primarily because Capcom (like many Japanese companies) have a policy of never releasing a game they've already released, basically, if it doesn't have something/anything different about it, they won't bring it to market (And rightly so), and this does mean even when porting games to other platforms (like by including Dante in Viewtiful Joe on PS2). A bit different to the scumbag companies like EA who release every single game on every format, just because they had enough money to do so in the first place and giving them a cheesy advantage that other companies can't afford to compete with...)

Anyway, I digress, the point is that the way this applies itself to fighting games is normally in the details. Capcom will always balance the game wherever possible and this makes sense as the arcade can essentially be seen as a test period, the home release will then iron out anything the developer didn't like about the way people are playing it. An example may be that in the original design brief for SF3 3rd Strike they wanted parrying to be hard to do, when they see how frequently general users (rather than their own testers) are successfully achieving parries, they may change the timing of the home version to bring it more in line with what they were originally aiming for. The same is obvously true of any unforeseen combo or strategy that they feel detracts from their vison.

I personally am all for these changes, as it makes for a better balanced game all

around and the true version of 3rd Strike as Capcom saw it. If it's what Capcom wanted no-one should argue, it will have been the right decision. You can stick up for leaving things the way they were in the original all day long but the fact remains - Demitri's unconnectable low forward in Darkstalkers and Sodom's unblockable standing roundhouse and Adon's level 3 that only the computer could perform in the Alpha 1 coin-op HAVE TO GO. These are extreme examples but you wouldn't want the home versions to carry over these stupid flaws just because they were present in the arcade version.

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku