Phone Saves Man's Life in Crossbow Attack

Alpha

BRISBANE, Australia - When Michael Brown was shot with a crossbow he couldn't use his cell phone to call for help. But he didn't need to — his handset stopped the bolt and likely saved his life.

A prosecutor at Brisbane Supreme Court on Monday said Brown's phone intervened when he was shot on Dec. 16, 2002, by a drug user who suspected he was a police informant.

Robert Troy Scanlon was sentenced to 12 years imprisonment by judge Phil McMurdo after pleading guilty to attempted murder and drug possession.

Prosecutor Tim Ryan told the court Brown, 33, was targeted by Scanlon who wanted to buy marijuana. It was not clear what made him think Brown was passing information to police.

But Ryan said that Scanlon bought a crossbow at an archery store and practiced shooting it near the city of Ipswich, west of Queensland state capital Brisbane, before luring Brown to a remote spot north of Ipswich and shooting him.

Scanlon fled when the crossbow bolt got lodged in Brown's phone, which he was carrying in his shirt's breast pocket.

Defense attorney Sean Barry denied Scanlon tried to kill Brown because he thought he was a police informant, but said he was not able to say what Scanlon's motive had been.

This must be something you see in the movies. I wonder what kind of cellphone it was? :)

Who the hell uses a crossbow in real life?!

Is silent, easily-handled, and powerful enough. So is the best weapon to use in a murder.

But still...the way I see it is that only Gordon Freeman, vampire hunters, and rangers in D&D use crossbows.

I want a crossbow now...

Who the hell uses a crossbow in real life?!

Is silent, easily-handled, and powerful enough. So is the best weapon to use in a murder.

But still...the way I see it is that only Gordon Freeman, vampire hunters, and rangers in D&D use crossbows.

I want a crossbow now...

And those guys are that movie with the wolfmen.

See, in reality, he knew the man was a vampire.  But he didn't want to sound crazy in court so blamed it on drugs instead.  Case closed. :naughty:

Do you think is so strange that someone uses a crossbow to commit a murder?

No. :)

It was just a joke. Or was it...?

See, in reality, he knew the man was a vampire.  But he didn't want to sound crazy in court so blamed it on drugs instead.  Case closed. B)

Do you think is so strange that someone uses a crossbow to commit a murder?

No. :naughty:

It was just a joke. Or was it...?

It was on Yahoo News, I don't think so. :)