[8/31/04] Metal Gear Solid 2

Snk, I think yiou take games way too seriously in some level...

People should enjoy games just for enjoyments sake,rather than constantly trying to find plotholes, errors and whatnot. It takes all the fun out of playing a game if you only see things that aren't exactly what the developers said the game would have.

This whole "This game got too much hype and live up to the hype; therefore this game sucks ass" mentality baffles me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Agozer, I do take games too seriously, but that's because I am a game designer. I am halfway though my game design course and have been designing them for nearly 8 years. So I haven't played them just for fun since I was 14. :P

And also, I'm not saying the game is crap because it was hyped up, I'm saying game journalists can't see any flaws because they wish it was as good as the trailers they saw before the release.

This whole "This game got too much hype and live up to the hype; therefore this game sucks ass" mentality baffles me.

Did the review sound as if I was just grasping at straws to slate it or did it sound like I actually thought it was a mediocre product?

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

That is Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. Well worth the buy if you don't own a PS2, but then again, I'm a hardcore MGS fan.

Is that a direct port or is there stuff added or taken away? It's 5 flocking CDs so it's huge!

Well, Substance adds graphical tweaks, a chance to play as the Cyborg Ninja and other characters, new costumes, VR Missions for Raiden, mini-games (such as skateboarding) and...

If it's anything like the PS2 version (although I have just the original), it galleries like character models, how the AI works etc. etc.

If someone owns the original MGS2 already (the PS2 version), then Substance isn't really needed, despite it's extras and other stuff.

Ah, I understand. Time to queue this torrent. :P

Also, I used to take games some what seriously but I don't anymore because now I know its pointless, they are just games. If I enjoy playing a game in the first 10 minutes, I'll continue playing it. If I get bored or annoyed with it before then, I'll most probably quit playing it. But people like SNK should because that'll be his career and hopefully he will make great games for me to enjoy in the future.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Thanks a lot Gryphon, I'll try to please you :P

At last, someone who understands where I'm coming from.

About the substance, I don't think any games worth 5 CDs worth of your Hard Drive. If you have a PS2 or Xbox, buy it for that, if not, you should maybe play thru it once and then uninstall it. I havent got substance myself, so I dont know what extras it has (It won't be much of an improvement, just mini games etc) but I dunno about downloading 5 gig or whatever.

There are different type of great minds in the video gaming business. Kojima is one of them, but if you don't see, why should I even convince you?

Kinda like why I don't see anything thats popular with the WWE and their still people that still watch that bullsheit of wrestling.

Edit: Substance is fun, if you don't own the original MGS2, get Substance, if you already own MGS2, you're just missing out on just some VR, minigames and sometimes funny alternative funny universes.

Oh and SNK, please specifiy "Video Game Designer." All that means to me is nothing much.

Edited by K`dash

Oh and SNK, please specifiy "Video Game Designer." All that means to me is nothing much.

What the hell do you mean? How can you not know what it means? Take a guess.

It means I design video game concepts, characters, stories and everything else. Basically everything that goes into a game (visual style, type of music, clothes on characters, what collectables are in the game etc etc)

And it's the other way around, it's you that doesn't understand why he is NOT a genius. Just because all the magazines, web sites and so on think he and his games are good, that makes you automatically think the same. It takes someone special to realise he is a joke. Videogame geniuses are Yu Suzuki, Shigero Miyamoto, Akira Nishitani, Hisao Oguchi etc. Kojima is just a wazzock who wishes he was in Hollywood, but isn't because he is completely useless. The only talent involved with MGS is Yoji Shinkawa, his artwork and character designs are excellent. Hideo "sucks" (to use vernacular you'll understand).

It's impossible not to understand the plot, but the reason no one got it, is because it is appallingly written. Over-complicating a sh/t story with terrible plot holes and pointless obligitory Kojima twists.

Where did all this "not understanding the plot" come from anyway?

Where did all this "not understanding the plot" come from anyway?

The entire world. As in forums, magazines, etc.

No one (that complained) understood it cuz they are retarded. It wasn't difficult to understand the story of MSG2 at all.

Basically, 90% of gamers in this world complain about a game because it wasn't made the way they wanted it. You could, technically, change gamers to people and take about everything in this world.

So basically, your the director.

You know you could of just said that.

No, a director who creates the whole ideas aswell. Mostly, directors don't contribute much to the design, just make sure everything put in is good quality.