Overall Score: 6

Grade: D

Overall I give this game a :D

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice review. :D I'm not a huge fan of stealth games so I was never a huge fan of these games in the first place. I also don't like it when games try to be too much like movies which is the case of MGS2 as you mentioned. I haven't played the game long enough to have a firm opinion on it but what I played was somewhat fun. I saw this game for PC and might try it out.

And its pretty cool that is a school project, I wish I had projects like this.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Thanks for the compliments dude :D

It would be intersting to see what Metal Gear Solid fans think to my review. Please post your opinions and views.

EDIT: Just wondered, Gryphon, did you read the original review (on my website) or read it straight from the forum post. Thanks

I saw this game for PC and might try it out.

That is Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. Well worth the buy if you don't own a PS2, but then again, I'm a hardcore MGS fan.

EDIT: Just wondered, Gryphon, did you read the original review (on my website) or read it straight from the forum post. Thanks

I read the article here but checked the site for the pictures.

That is Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. Well worth the buy if you don't own a PS2, but then again, I'm a hardcore MGS fan.

Is that a direct port or is there stuff added or taken away? It's 5 flocking CDs so it's huge!

Sometimes people just don't know what the game really means...

Article on Insertcredit.com Too lazy to find.

man that's harsh... ;)

how can you give this game such a poor rating when it sports such excellent graphics, play control, and replay value? our intrepid reviewer here sounds like all the fanboys who griped when the game originally came out because they only got to stare at Snake's mullet for the first chapter... He totally ignores all the aspects of the game except for the elements which he considers 'repetitive' but are actually KCEJ's attempts at providing humor and continuity...

MGS 2 is a remarkably well-done game - as a game. As a movie it's better than most of the crap hollywood puts out, but not great. I find it VERY HARD to find any faults with any of Kojima's products. Moral of the story - don't be hatin a game just because you don't understand it.

This makes me sick. :D

man that's harsh... ;)

how can you give this game such a poor rating when it sports such excellent graphics, play control, and replay value?  our intrepid reviewer here sounds like all the fanboys who griped when the game originally came out because they only got to stare at Snake's mullet for the first chapter...  He totally ignores all the aspects of the game except for the elements which he considers 'repetitive' but are actually KCEJ's attempts at providing humor and continuity...

MGS 2 is a remarkably well-done game - as a game.  As a movie it's better than most of the crap hollywood puts out, but not great.  I find it VERY HARD to find any faults with any of Kojima's products.  Moral of the story - don't be hatin a game just because you don't understand it. 

This makes me sick. :D

Do your own review then.

We have two reviews of tekken 4 because two users has different standpoints on them.

I went ahead and added the pictures as well from the original review since all reviews need to have pictures. You just can't link directly to the same review you posted on another website since we are trying to build a great review archive for people to read for the upcoming 1Emulation v3.0. :lol:

Other than that, another awesome review! ;)

Is that a direct port or is there stuff added or taken away? It's 5 flocking CDs so it's huge!

Well, Substance adds graphical tweaks, a chance to play as the Cyborg Ninja and other characters, new costumes, VR Missions for Raiden, mini-games (such as skateboarding) and...

If it's anything like the PS2 version (although I have just the original), it galleries like character models, how the AI works etc. etc.

If someone owns the original MGS2 already (the PS2 version), then Substance isn't really needed, despite it's extras and other stuff.

Hey darkmage479,

Putting aside the fact that it is a silly and random accusation - I'm not some Internet gimp who 'griped' about Snake's mullet (Snake and the rest of the characters are one of the only good elements) and my review is not some sort of backlash. Did the review sound like it was written by an immature Internet obsessed freak who’s kidding themselves that they’re going to get into game journalism if they continue to spew out trash disguised as reviews? This was a serious paper written by a game design student for a college thesis. It should have been more in-depth and scathing than it was so think yourself lucky.

‘Excellent Graphics’? (Which I pointed out in the review) ‘Play control’? If these are your rationalizations for why a poor game was lauded with endless praise then you ought to apply for a hack’s job at some kiddie magazine such as EGM.

As for not "understanding" it, there is nothing to understand, other than the fact that the script and plot is penned by someone who obviously thinks they're some kind of genius but in actual fact have nothing to say whatsoever. The plot changes direction like some puerile junior high short story. I'm surprised the characters don't wake up at the end and discover that "it was all just a dream"....

Am I trying understand something that hasn't even got a hidden meaning? Kojima says it is about passing on material things to future generations, not just what you pass on through your genes. What's not to understand, when all it does is shove it in your face word-for-word about five times at the end of the game. When all previous events had NOTHING to do with this at all. Especially when it was an exact remake of Metal Gear Solid 1. No film would ever have a supposed message put in as blatantly as that. Kojima just wanted a message in it because "movies have them", but has no idea how to incorporate it whatsoever, so he just makes the lead character pound a pretend message into your head in the closing 5 minutes. I don't care if there is a market for Scary Movie 1-3, Kojima would be laughed out of Hollywood with this script, guaranteed.

And as a game it's just as dismal. This game should be the poster boy for poor design and implementation and could be single-handedly used to display every video game design error that has ever been committed. The only justification for how atrociously done it all is, would be if it was purposely made to make a complete mockery of design principles. I guess that’s the real hidden meaning.

I personally find it ridiculously easy to find fault with all of Kojima-san’s products. He has pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with his high-production values, and masses of hype. He has been masquerading as someone who understands the first thing about games, hiding that deficiency behind his silly comments about being “70 percent movies” and yet showing himself to be completely fraudulent in that area too.

Oh, and needless repetition is not humorous. How the heck do you work that one out?