Need help in picking a vid card for my pc

Prican25

well i'm getting tired of using this crappy Geforce 4 MX 440 64MB and i wanna get something that can last a lil longer before i give up my current pc for me to enjoy some 3d great games.

my current pc specs are:

Dual P3 1Ghz

1280MB Ram

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of getting a bfg 6800 that kdash recommended it looks pretty sweet, its about 332 shipped tho =/

9800 pros are getting cheaper, newegg.com is selling a 9600 all in wonder for $140.

The two top cards on the market right now are the NVidia Geforce 6800 (Ti,GT, etc) and the ATi Radeon X800 (XT, XT Platinum Edition). Though for those it will cost you your left nut and a night with a man who calls himself Sheila.

Do you plan on upgrading your processor anytime soon? If not, don't go all out on a video card then since your processor will bottleneck it and it won't really be worth it.

The 9800s seem to be a great deal now as someone already mentioned. Cheap and powerful.

Trust me when I say Dual P3s, properly set up, are not a bottleneck. I used a dual P2 400 running NT 4 SP6, and man did that thing fly. Could compile a program and do a rad run on a map at the same time as browsing the forums without skipping or lagging at all. It's kinda funny, because I have a GF4 mx 64 mb here too, but with a TBird 1.2gHz and 512 mb of ram

When will games take true advatange?

No one knows since everyone in the industry (currently) would like to create one type of process because dual processing requires more coding within the cycle.

And the Quake 3 processing was shotty.

processor will bottleneck it and it won't really be worth it.

what the heck does bottleneck mean??

i see and hear that alot

The current bottleneck of this generation is the CPUs. Our video card's power and speed are being bottlenecked because of our CPUs.