Organizing GBA Roms

Daeval

I'm wondering what other people use to organize their GBA roms. I've checked out goodGBA and GBA-Renamer and both seem like good programs, but they both have some flaws.

GoodGBA's (and really all the good tools) only real flaw is its comprehensive nature. I'd like to be able to eliminate certain tags from the lists when it determines what I'm missing. For example, I don't really care to have all the hacked versions of each game. I'd like it to not count those for purposes of completeness, similar to the way it handles baddumps. (Edit: I think I found a way to do this.. I'll report back if it works..)

Update: For the few of you who both a)cared and b)didn't know, you CAN do this in GoodGBA. You have to set "n" after the type you'd like to ignore in the.cfg file, as it is after overdumps and baddumps in the list. This makes goodgba near ideal in my opinion, but every site I've found seems to use GBA-R so I'm still curious what others use and why.

GBA-Renamer doesn't have this problem, as it only supports official releases. However, the other side of the coin is that it doesn't support Public Domain games or a lot of the other oddities. In addition, GBA-R doesn't tell the difference between a "good" version of a rom and a hacked version. I'll get dupes in GBA-R that show up as [!] and [h2] in GoodGBA.

I've also seen compilations that look like they're built with GBA-R that have patches and box-shots built into the.zip files, which is something the good tools don't do. I'm not sure it's GBA-R doing this either, however, as I can't find this functionality.

So, what do you use? And what, if anything, do you do about the gripes above?

Edited by Daeval

• 1 month later...
umm question, what are all this "Good" things like I've seen GoodNes or something like that, but I don't get what they are! enlighten me plz

GoodXXX databases (plus, it's a rom checking tool too) contain the info of all the dumped games of that particular system. Basically, you can make sure that your romsets are the properly-dumped ones.

Goodsets are for console systems and handhelds basically.

Edited by Agozer

• 2 months later...

GBA-R goes by "scene releases and numbers them".. which is why there are numbers infront of the rom name :( and why it only *really* supports "official" releases by groups.

Ren just throws every god damn known pos for gba into 1 "thing"

I use clrmamepro dat done by pocketheaven for my renaming, since i just stick with scene releases.

and wow.. old.. haha